docx

Good you've got the converter working.

You might want to investigate Libre Office too. It's pretty good (like upgrading to Office 2003) and, in my view, better than Open Office. For one thing, it gives you the ability to edit PDFs, which is worth having (I don't think OO does that).

Reply to
OG

Yes use it here no complaints. Sometimes saving in the wrong format by accident can cause some interesting things but otherwise does all we need:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I've heard this site is quite useful, haven't tried it myself.

whisky-dave

A worry for us non adepts is the plethora of dodgy sites out there just waiting for an unwary click!

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's good, and news too MS actually solving a problem.

That's one good reason to use a Mac.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You seriously think that macs are not attackable?

Reply to
GB

There are an order of magnitude less macs out there, and there are an order of magnitude less exploits in them, and two orders of magnitude less malware that affects them as a result.

Why write malware for a few macs, when you can attack a far easier target that exists in huge numbers?

Macs are attackable, but there is not a lot to be gained - or hasn't been for many years past. And its a lot harder. You have to get past the inherent protection of *nix which has always held that the person using the computer is not to be trusted, and that the person changing its configuration must jump through many hoops to do so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh much more than that, Shirley? Last time I looked, which is at least 4 years ago now, there were more than 140,000 PC viruses.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And what is your point?

By my reckoning that would mean 1400 mac viruses at most.

But whilst I have experienced 20-30 PC malware events known to me personally - either on machines I have had, machines I have had to fix, or machines that have sent me mail that their owners did not initiate, not one of those events had anything to do with Linux or OSX. Or indeed the OS9 that preceded it.

So MY point is that "You seriously think that macs are not attackable?" is a straw man. Of course they are attackABLE. But they are not ATTACKED in practice.

Which makes a mac a safer bet security wise. Or Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My point is that there aren't any.

See above.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Tim Lamb writes

It was news to me that it worked on '97 too so that was nice to find out.

Agreed, and common searches like MS file converters are a prime target for malware exploiters and rip off payware merchants alike.

Looking back in the archives I see we were speaking about this back in May, have you really been sitting on those files that long ;-?

Reply to
fred

Whereas my experience was seeing a number of Mac "items of malware" long before I ever encountered anything on a PC. That was back many years - I know I was using Word 2 for Mac at the time. but cannot remember which OS version.

Reply to
polygonum

I bought a "reconditioned" computer. It has open office on it. Seems to be almost the same as MSoffice. And can open docx and save as doc.

Reply to
harry

Yes. I found that with PP also.

Reply to
harry

In message , fred writes

No.

I think I used the on line service for that one. Occasionally I have asked the sender to re-send in doc. This was from a govt. agency dealing with an environmental agreement so I decided to get tooled up.

Difficult to ask advice here on computers without triggering some inter adept spat:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. OpenOffice and LibreOffice can both do that. OpenOffice is the older sister of LibreOffice. Both are open source. Both can open docx and 'save as' doc. Both are free and well respected. Both are 'me too' products designed to target MSoffice users.

If you're happy with OpenOffice, you'll be happy with LibreOffice. LibreOff= ice is better supported and more popular. Many people (and organisations) t= hat had OpenOffice have switched to LibreOffice. There's nothing to stop yo= u trying both at the same time - it has no affect on your files.

Of the two, I recommend LibreOffice.

Reply to
metric_trade

is better supported and more popular. Many people (and organisations) that had OpenOffice have switched to LibreOffice. There's nothing to stop you trying both at the same time - it has no affect on your files.

Any especial reason why? I have open office because libre office didn't exist when I installed it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find it faster!

LibreOffice vame into being because Oracle faffed around for about a year, declining to release it an an independent project. By the time they did, LibreOffice was well under way.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Cash

Reply to
geoff

It's certainly fast and appears to be better supported. I just followed the= crowd of people, manufacturers, and reviewers. In the grand scheme of thin= gs, I'm sure the differences are small. But I've put it on more than one co= mputer because it's free and more capable than the old version of MSOffice = I had.

Try it (LibreOffice). If you don't like it, just delete it.

Reply to
metric_trade