What Breaker Is Compatible With Crouse Hinds Panel?

I need to replace one of these 20A Crouse Hinds breakers with a 15A. This is the best picture that I have, but I'm pretty sure it's a Type MP.

If I'm not mistaken, CH is now Murray, so I think this is what I need, but I wanted to check first.

The job is at Dad's house, 350 miles away and I'd like to avoid running around shopping after I get there.

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

the best picture

wanted to check first.

Yes, that is the correct breaker. You could also use a Cutler-Hammer BR style:

Stormin' Norman

the best picture

wanted to check first.

around shopping

Thanks.

One of those 20A breakers has 14g wire on it, the other has 12g. We're selling the house, so I'm trying to remove all the obvious in-your-face red flags, which I why I want to put the 14g wire on a 15A breaker.

(I was fully expecting to see more than one circuit on some of the breakers, but I was pleasantly surprised that the 14g wire on a 20A breaker was the only issue - in the panel, at least.)

What is interesting is that the breaker in the picture seems to indicate No 14-8 AWG. Could the breaker be so old that the NEC allowed a 20A breaker to be used with 14g wire? Doesn't matter, I'm replacing it it anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is really just the listing for the termination, not the breaker itself but I can give you an instance where #14 is perfectly legal on a 40a breaker ... but I don't want to confuse people.

Reply to
gfretwell

Please do. I'm interested. The rest of the "people" can ignore your post.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Being limited to 15 amps with 14g is based on lighting circuits, receptacles, etc. If it's a piece of equipment like an AC unit that has it's own over-current protection, then a larger breaker consistent with the eqpt's rating plate is allowed. That is so it won't trip on start-up. So, you could have a 20A breaker on

14g cable.
Reply to
trader_4

Also possible is if the wire making up the cable is of higher temperature rating than that of ordinary T,TW, etc., for which the basic rule we all know and love holds. _Probably_ not the case here, but it is another place where consultation of the actual ampacity tables for the specific conductor rather than the rule-of-thumb may lead to a different result.

Reply to
dpb

What has legal to do with anything?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What he said ;-)

When dealing with motor circuits the typical inverse time breaker can be 250% of the ampacity of the conductor per 310.15 if the motor has internal overload protection.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks.

Reply to