Didn't see the point

...of Kirstie Allsop's new programme on property chains this week. It was one hour of doom and gloom with no message at all other than to steer clear of any thoughts of moving - ever. No summary at the end on how the breakdowns could have been avoided, whether HIPs will avoid such problems, what legal redress buyers and sellers might have, or why it is different in Scotland. No, just an hour of wall-to-wall (literally) misery. The person who irritated me the most was the lawyer, who appeared to have no moral fibre in his body.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

No surprise there then !!. Standby for all the lawyer flames now !

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Reply to
mindwipe

I could see his point: why should he buy a place that he judged was - after all the delay - above the market price, just to make others happy? I know it looked as if he was gazundering, but since in the end he did buy elsewhere I think he was just being hard-nosed and getting the best deal he could for his money. I'd say it's the fault of our system: the Scottish system seems to have some attractions in comparison.

The people I was pointing the finger at were the couple with the dodgy barn conversion who should have been sorting out the postition wrt listing and consent instead of bossing around the unfortunate developers of the farmhouse with customisations of the place they eventually pulled out of buying.

But overall I agree with the OP: waste of telly bandwidth. Bring back Property Ladder!

Just my 0.02 Euros'orth :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Er, howze about, my word is my bond?

It didn't just look it, it was! I was so glad that the vendors refused his new "offer". One day that lawyer may well rely on others' promises and be let down himself.

Not really. The Scottish system is one big scam. How do I know I am not paying over the odds for a property when there is not even a guide price? All this "offers over" crapola is gigantic fraud, in my opinion. Prospective purchasers should know the price required up front. Only that is a fair way of conducting such a significant purchase. How would you feel if you'd moved in only to have the neighbours say, ah, they were actually willing to accept forty grand less?

I agree. The developer was nuts to go along with all the demands. But he did at least manage in the end to sell the property, albeit at the original asking price. The changes required may well have destroyed his profit margin.

Just bring back the Beeny! Who cares about the programme....!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

So try offering them 40grand less. You offer what you want, noone forces you to offer over the asking price. We didn't pay the asking price for this place, we offered under.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

You're not in Edinburgh then. You've pretty much got to hire a solicitor here to tell you how much over the offers price you need offer, to have _any_ chance of winning.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird

That's called winning?

I sometimes think I aught to divest myself of the appelation -Lawyer. There isn't a profession in the country I despise more. I blame Yahoo and total ignorance. But I have had the name so long I have grown attached to it.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

I've often wondered how the Building Society surveyors cope with the scottish system. In the UK (say) you've put an offer in at the asking price, then along comes the B.S. valuer/surveyor and either values it at the agreed price or down-values it. If, as in Scotland, the agreed price could theoretically be twice, if not more, than the original guide price. How does the surveyor react to this. South of the border the down valuation ratio (ex any works required) is probably less than five percent, does anyone know what it is in Scotland? Do the surveyors keep property prices in line and prevent people paying well over the top (thus negating the point about paying 40k over the odds) or do they just let it rip and devil take the hindmost?

'Challenge Tommy Walsh' for the first time this weekend. For all the use that programme was you could have just put a caption and photograph up saying "This was the new kitchen someone put in their house last week"

The programme takes the 'Blue Peter' philosophy to the extreme. "We'll just put the final skim coat on here, mind you turn the electrcity off first..." voila, next thing you have a skimmed wall without any useful hints or tips to let you know how it's done.

The man himself (T.W.) obviously hasn't a clue how to do anything other than lift heavy objects and try to impose his ponderous and ever growing bulk onto the 'lower down the food chain order' co-stars who have the misfortune to work with him.

The whole programme would have been infinitely more help to people who probably watch this sort of programme if it had spent the whole of its slot giving advice on how to plaster a wall! It almost rivals the 'Great British Woodshop' in its tendancy to concentrate the camera shots on the protagonists head, inconsequential details and the finished product rather than the work that's supposed to be getting done!

Grr

Reply to
Meoww

But before you bought it, you didn't *know* about the 40 grand!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

'Zactly!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

No, we bought in Dundee before the market in this part went like that. but it doesn't change the point. We thought we might get accepted on less than because the house had been on the market a while and they had brought the price down into our bracket. It was also empty, they had already moved and had bridging finance. So the market has changed, but your complaint seems to be that you have to aware of the market when buying. When buying something like a house, I would say that would be essential.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby