Improving the appearance and protecting wooden beams

I have a wooden beam in my attic bedroom I have exposed, cleaned and sanded. To bring out the colour and grain I have used some brush on wax stuff, the wood is soaking it up like crazy! Can anyone recommend anything better/more cost effective to improve the appearance and protect the wood?

Thanks in advance

James

Reply to
James W

You could try boiled linseed oil and tupentine mixed first of all. Apply several coats until soaking pretty much stops. Then wax after that.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you know what manner of timber this is? Hard or softwood? I presume it is sawn and has not been planed. What "brush on wax stuff" have you been using? Nic.

Reply to
Nic o'demus

Hi, thanks Andy and Nic for the replies

Not being an expert in wood, I'm presuming its hardwood. House was built in the 1800s, huge thick lovely piece. A lad who came round to look at it said it was probably taken from an old ship! The brush on wax stuff is R*nseal brush on wax. Andy, do you know the mixing proportions of oil to turps? How long do I need to boil the mixture?

James

Reply to
James W