Cordless Screwdriver

My ancient 9019 Type 1 B&D cordless screwdriver has knackered batteries (again). IIRC the last time I had to replace the batteries they weren't a standard size so had to buy an expensive B&D part.

Looking about for a replacement they all seem to be "gun" shaped these days. I don't like that in a screwdriver. The 9019 is fixed and straight and does what I want. What is out there that matches this spec?

Straight handle, doesn't need to bend, would prefer if it didn't. Automatic spindle lock. Variable torque control. Bi-directional. Standard 1/4" hex drive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've seen straight, own-name ones in B&Q - but their batteries may be poor. Simialr is

Better would be the LiION Makita TD020D:
if you can accept the noise it makes, being an impact driver :-). It doesn't meet your variable torque control need, which I've not had problems with but isn't "soft start", which, IMO, is its only weakeness

Reply to
John Weston

Can you describe the batteries, someone may be abe to find some for you!

Reply to
Toby

Happened across a couple on RS site. Look somewhat expensive to me - I suppose same/similar could be cheaper elsewhere. (Mind I've got a Makita TD020! I've also got a Bosch Ixo - which is a) gun-shaped and b) too wimpy for serious use - but the more recent one might be better.)

Reply to
Rod

Oh. Is the Bosch jobby not up to much then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The one I have is the original one - and no, not very good. It is surprisingly torquey - but very slow rotational speed in all circumstances. Waste of time trying to drill with it. At all.

I'd guess (and certainly hope) the newer one is (a bit) better.

Reply to
Rod

I've got the Makita and it's excellent for driving wood screws - but not much use for more delicate things you *might* want a power screwdriver for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But it's not intended for drilling, so no surprise then !

I've got one (picked up before xmas when Argos were selling them cheap). I think it's fine for what it is, a small light screwdriver. I find it useful for when my 14.4V drill/driver is to heavy/big/awkward/powerful etc. Good for flatpacks, dismantling and such like.

My young daughters like it as it's light enough for them to use, and they can do up screws they can't with a manual screwdriver.

Reply to
chris French

If it was not intended for drilling, why then did Bosch supply a drill bit with it? Obviously it wouldn't manage significant sized holes, but a fine pilot hole doesn't seem over-ambitious.

Note I did say mine was the *original* Ixo - the ones in the shops now seem to be the Ixo II and the latest Ixo III. I would certainly hope they have been tweaked to be a bit better. And even a small improvement would have made it much more usable. (And age might have taken some toll. It has been around our house for several years now.)

IME flatpack assembly can be a very demanding job. Those Confirmat screws take quite a lot of torque to drive fully home. I find myself using the Makita TD020 quite a lot for that job.

Reply to
Rod

Oh yes! Great for the cam studs as well. Clutch comes in when they are fully driven home.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

*And* the cam studs are always placed so you scrape your knuckles doing them up manually!
Reply to
Rod

I don't much like hex drills. Apart from the cost, they tend to slop around a lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a toy: quite a lot of torque, but no control. Used it on some computer case screws once and it snapped off the heads.

Reply to
djc

I agree in many ways. But I did make a distress purchase of a set of four Power Pro bits (IIRC) from B&Q some time ago. And just been using them on the Mak. I dislike the way the Mak can switch into impact driver mode, but other than that, it works very well. The bits are far less wobbly than my pillar drill! (Yes, that *is* rubbish.)

Reply to
Rod

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm not encouraged by your second sentence either.

I've not had a chance to follow up the other suggestions yet. Only one vaguely straight one in Homebase the other day and it was utter s**te.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice