Bosch Washing Machine Q

Hi all

Anyone own a Bosch Washing Machine? We have an Excel model and I am having trouble getting the cover off the drain pump for cleaning. I am talking about the "screw in" cover that is at the bottom right hand side front of the machine, behind a rectangular cover and next to a clip-in-place drain hose.

What I need to know is how this cover is supposed to come out. It may seem very obvious if you regularly remove this! In the manual it indicates that this should be unscrewed and pulled out. But, when I tried to remove it, it was seized solid. A few minutes of waggling freed it off sufficient to move it a bit less than 1/4 turn. Now it seems to move this far quite freely, but then come to a definite stop. So the question is: Should this cover rotate a little and then pull out, or should it simply keep unscrewing all the way out.

Whichever it's supposed to do it doesn't want to. I've had pliers on it, but being only plastic I don't want to wreck the thing. The machine was displaying an error 074 (I think that's what er-indoors said) which indicated problems with drainage.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I know that 'un: It's supposed to unscrew, counterclockwise. There's a lid wot's got two things sticking out front, i.e. axially at the edge, with roundish plate on the end. Covers the pump impeller. There's a port on the left hand side of the hole it's in, and most likely a bit of wire, coin or whatever's lodged in the port, preventing the lid being turned past said port. "Bit lodged in pump port" would also fit "drainage problem".

I got the lid off by turning the machine on its left side.

Next option would have been to buy a spare drain cover, and then chop the existing one to pieces in place.

HTH,

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

"Thomas Prufer" wrote

Thomas

Many thanks - your diagnosis was correct! The offending items were:

2 wires out of bras a chunk of fluffy stuff 1 plastic paper clip thing

I have no idea how the clip got through. It is a rectangular piece of plastic about 8mm wide and 12mm long say 2mm thick. Can these things get forced past the seal somehow? No way did it go through the drum holes!

To get access, I tipped the washer over at 45 degrees leant against the fridge freezer. From underneath, disconnected the main hose from the drum to the drain pump at the drain pump end. Fished out the wires which were poking down the port where the main hose connects to the drain pump housing. Repeatedly tightened and slackened the pump cover until it gave in and unscrewed! Even after a thorough clean, the fitting and removal of the cover is still not mega user friendly IMHO.

Thanks again

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I was given an Indeset a couple of years ago which had been thrown out because of a bra-wire and a broken Tesco staff badge.

In the end I threw it out a year or so later because the bearings went and the tub was glued-shut plastic. I won't by buying one of them, then!

Reply to
Roland Butter

"Roland Butter" wrote

Problem is that if you don't understand these things or can't be bothered to investigate, by the time you've had a man in (oo-er-missus) it's likely cost half the price of a replacement just to retrieve these renegade underwear parts.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster