Bosch WFF1401 Washing Machine

Hi,

Can anybody give me any suggestions as to what is wrong with our washing machine. It's a 9 year old Bosch WFF1401, it's developed a fault when empting / spinning.

Washing when spun comes out wetter than it used to. It used to pump the water out before a spin cycle in quite a dramatic fashion, with the water spitting up through the plug hole etc, now this does not happen with nearly as much force it just sort of gurgles out and after it's finished spinning the washing is wetter than it should be. I've taken the waste water pipe off an checked for obstructions and had all the u bend apart etc to make sure that was clear and all was well with both. I've taken the pump off and checked that for obstructions and again all clear. One thing that we have noticed is the control knob does not seem to engage properly anymore and it can be hard to even programme the machine to run a rinse / spin cycle.

Any ideas or is it time to call out the repair man or does this sound like it might be expensive and the scrap man a better option.

Thanks

Oscar

Reply to
Oscar

The pump was clear and clean, but does the impeller spin when it should. With the pump in your hand, hold the motor stopped with a finger / thumb and try turning the fan blade. If it turns easily, then you need a new pump. If it sticks tight and won't turn, the pump sounds to be OK.

On the sump hose from the pump to the bottom of the outer wash drum. You should see a thing like a Tee piece sticking down passed the rest of the hose. Sort of straight down from the bottom of the drum with the rest of the hose sticking out nearly half way along it to the pump. Inside this is a grating to catch large debris (bits of metal and things that come out of pockets and purses). If this is choked by an old rusted nail or summit, then can be causing the trouble you have. Make sure it is also clean and clear of all debris.

Some sump hoses have a clip around the bottom of them (Corbin Clamp) to hold the plastic grating in place. These have to be squeezed tightly to remove and replace it. Special pliers are normally used with grooves in them to hold the clip properly, but they can be removed and replaced successfully with a pair of pipe pliers. If you feel confident enough to remove the clamp, then it lets you make sure that the grating is perfectly clear and clean. Replacing the clamp means it has to go back in its original marks on the outside of the hose. So make sure you make a note of what way it was facing when you took it off.

If all of that fails to show a problem with the drainage side of things, then the next thing is the pressure bottle on the back of the outer wash drum. This plastic bottle on the drum has a thin hose connected to it. The other end of this hose is connected to a pressure switch, which we don't need to know about at this time. make sure this bottle is also clean and clear of any soap scum or solid debris. If you are taking out of the drum to blow through it, make sure it also goes back in exactly the same position as it was. It comes out easily with a strong twisting and pull action. If it is also clear, then the system has an electrical fault that would need an engineer to visit.

The most common thing to block a washing machine drain is a wire from those under-wired bras that women, and maybe some men, wear. They get stuck across the concertina hose on the sump. Ask your missus if she's lost any. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop