[Borderline OT] Scrap Copper prices

Route the pipework inside, or use pipework which is strong enough to resist vandalism and not worth nicking, such as iorn, attached strongly enough to prevent yanking off, or route copper outside only where it's well out of reach or the location physically secured against public access.

Maybe use of auto-shutoff valves where pipework is located outside. (They're commonly used in France, but I think they require increasing the gas pressure by 1-2 mBar.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A guy I worked with 18 months ago had his unoccupied and part renovated house stripped. They took all the copper pipework, the bathroom suite and the still packed kitchen units. They did it very neatly, turning both water and gas off and with no other damage or mess, even carefully removing the back window without damage, to get everything out to their van. Neighbours thought they were legit workmen!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Bloke should have been given a medal, not a sentence.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yawn. Tell that to the jury who had a way better picture of what happened than you do.

Reply to
Bolted

You may wish and long, but that's all it will ever be.

Reply to
Bolted

ISTR one of the resons he was convicted was that he used a shotgun without a licence.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The current issue of PHPI (the free rag in plumbers' merchants) has an article on DENSO tape pointing out that it's a deterrent to the pikey brigade: makes the pipe look like it could just be wrapped steel, and if they do try to have a go it's so godawful gungey ....

Reply to
YAPH

He should have been given five years just like anyone else with an illegal firearm should be. That's before he shot someone.

Reply to
dennis

It was worse than that.. he used a weapon that you can't get a license for. And he obtained it with the intention to kill.

Reply to
dennis

It was only a pikey that he killed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That is a libellous statement Dennis.

You cannot know his intentions.

The legal facts are that he was in possession of a pump action shotgun, for which he had no license, and which is not in fact licensable in this country as far as I know.and he used it to kill and wound two trespassers.

Whether or not he was morally justified, is an open question.

Martin was jailed for life for the murder of Fred Barras, with 10 years to run concurrently for the wounding offence and a further 12 months for

*possession* of an illegal firearm.

He was NOT convicted of the charge of 'possessing a Winchester pump-action shotgun with intent to endanger life'

he was NEVER charged with 'intent to kill'

I hope you have good lawyers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And that also is a statement that could land you in trouble.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be clear, pump action shotguns are quite legal in GB, so long as you have a Shotgun Certificate, or a Firearms Certificate. There are not many around as they are crap - they were superceded many years ago by the semi-auto shotgun, which does the same thing but automatically.

The firearm was only 'illegal' as he didnt have a certificate for it, it wasnt illegal in itself, anyone else with the relevant cert. could keep it lawfully.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Don't live out that way I presume then Dennis?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Without wishing to condone shooting an escaping burglar....

Unless the police firearms dept. had reason to withhold a licence, no farmer owning or controlling land would have problems obtaining a conventional shotgun and ammunition.

AFAIR no publicity was given to when the weapon was obtained or for what purpose. The original act controlling the possession of shotguns dates from 1968 so I suppose Martin could have owned a weapon prior to that date which was *not licensable*. A multi-shot pump action version perhaps. ISTR some limit on the number of rounds stored in the magazine?

For obvious reasons these are excluded but, in the circumstances, not hugely more dangerous than a double barrel 12 bore. I would be more concerned if the ammunition used was SSG or buckshot as used in American thrillers.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oh, you think he obtained a pump action shotgun to hunt rabbits, illegally.

The hell it is. Murder is never morally justified, it wouldn't be murder if it were justified.

You are stupid.

Reply to
dennis

unlikely. poor weapon for rabbits.

Geese or wildfowl, is another matter entirely. having several in the magazine can really make a difference when a skein of geese come over.

In which case T Bliar is a crim. Since he most definitely ordered the killings of many many people by going to war..

The state has legalised deliberate premeditated killing in many areas an times.

Warfare. Execution

to name but two.

No, precise. Which is what your lawyers will need to be to advise you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Trouble with who?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

See

ARWadsworth

any politically correct bureacrat who interprets it as a racially or ethnically offensive and discriminatory statement. I think it probably falls under some law somewhere..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher