Bloody Miele!

Just had a new Miele washing machine delivered. It was on a wooden pallet that is so tough that it's a major task to break it up so it will go in the bin. :)

Umm, FOC, anyone? Collect from N London.

Reply to
GB

You can't throw a thing like that away! It might come in.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Monday 27 January 2014 18:42 GB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Your delivery guys were lazy then - my dishwasher was delivered into my kitchen and all packaging removed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not in the wood burner? or even BBQ?

Easy way to deal with a pallet is to zip along the planks, with the depth set to that of the planks, just clear of the supports (and thus nails) with a handheld circular saw.

We are starting to run low on kindling so will have to attack some of the the stack of pallets that way soon.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Strange! We 'ad one of them delivered only last week.

(Model W3164)

Apart from the cling-film & cardboard, the packaging was made of expanded polystyrene reinforced by a total of 9 strips of wood (one each inserted into the polystyrene guarding each vertical corner, and a stapled together rectangle with a bar across the middle to form a base)

All the wood went into the "That'll come in handy" pile.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It's an incredibly clever design though, ringed or twisted plain steel nails shot into green wood, perfect conditions for a touch of rust to enhance the grip. Impossible to separate into the constituent parts without damage.

Reply to
fred

Miele glue theirs as well.

Reply to
GB

We got same one. £75 cash back from Miele and a *very* good deal from Coop Electrical.

We had the four vertical bits of wood, a frame thing at the top, and more of a pallet thing at the bottom. I reckoned that a quick tap with a hammer and chisel would split the joints, but they are glued as well as nailed. I'll have to get the angle grinder out.

I am keep the 4 vertical bits.

Reply to
GB

Bought ours from AO.com at £654 (have just sent off for the £75 cashback from Miele). Three days after we bought it, AO's price went up to £720.

We're replacing a 15 year old Miele and, with the cash-back, the price of this one is less than we paid for the old one.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Same here. Our old one was in 1998 and has done 20,000 hours. It is still working fine, but this seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. If we'd continued with the old one, we could have ended up paying top dollar when we had to replace it in a hurry.

Annoyingly, you got a better price than me, even allowing for Quidco, but it all depends on the Co-op divi points at the end of the year. :)

Reply to
GB

Ours had started doing strange things like tripping the door solenoid part way through a wash (amongst other things) - we weighted up the costs of a repair & the probability that we'd probably need other repairs after that.

We got that price thanks to Which?? - we opted for their £1 trial offer & they show 'live' prices from a few retailers. One of them was "How Much?!"

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I thought they'd cancelled the divi due to spending it all on drugs and rent boys?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That was the 2013 one. This purchase falls into 2014. So, who knows?

Reply to
GB

15 years of washing machine from £600 or 700 is lousy value. It had bette r be good.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It depends how often you run the machine. Ours has done 20,000 hours of use over 15 years. During that time, it needed one repair, a new seal. We generally do about 3 or 4 washes per day, 6 days a week.

You can pick up one of the cheaper brands, for around £200, but my experience is that they do not last well. Certainly not when heavily used.

Reply to
GB

A neighbour with the same sized household has had 3 'cheap' machines in the time we've had ours - and had to have them repaired at frequent intervals. Our costs, over time have been a lot less than hers.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

etter be good.

fairy nuff.

Reply to
meow2222

That's what I was thinking having had various machines at 1/3 to 1/2 that cost last longer.

But not at that level of use, presumably that is "commercial" rather than "domestic". In which case the cost will also be put against tax.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You might also have to factor in days off work waiting for engineers.

Reply to
stuart noble

Actually, that's domestic use. My wife is obsessive about not overloading the machine, and underloads it IMHO. Plus large family and people to stay.

Reply to
GB