Miele washing problem

SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did
What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?
On 21/01/15 20:04, fred wrote:

I cannot think of anything in a washing machine that would cause that, apart from perhaps:
Is the heater working?
Is it taking on enough water?
Even then, being a Miele, I would expect it just to throw a hissy fit and sulk with an error light.
It's not like a dishwasher where the arms can get blocked or sticky and not rotate.

Maybe the detergent formulation has changed.

Certainly possible and impossible to prove.

Is it one of those that weighs the washing, and is the weighing sensor working? If not it could be underfilling.
Does it take the same length of time as it always did?

Worth throwing some scrap clothes in it and doing a boil wash to clean it out?
Theo
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 8:04:32 PM UTC, fred wrote:

accumulation of crap. Do a monthly acid or alkali boil wash to keep on top of this. If its built up it can take many alternating acid/alkali cleans
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in

How? I can accept that parts may get a bit of scum on them and a pump could possibly block - but if the drum is turning and the water is at the right level and is the right temp then what can be wrong?
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 9:16:59 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

washing machines build up a thick layer of scum out of sight.

like I said.
NT
On 21/01/2015 20:04, fred wrote:

I got an LG washing machine given to me not working, I fixed it (speed sensor on the direct drive drum) and all appeared well.
Later on I thought there was a slight leak from the door seal, so I too it out to inspect - I found there was a sprayer built into it, that was supposed to be pumping water over the wash as the drum rotated, but as I had not had it when that was working, I didn't know that, as it was solidly blocked up (and it explains the pump noise when washing I couldn't really understand!).
Now this has been unclogged, it seems to be washing better than it did, does yours have such a sprinkler that is clogged?
--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
On 21/01/2015 22:33, Toby wrote:

Ours did that as well, along with the pump screaming :)
theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

It's worth doing a high temp wash (most do 90C max) every now and then simply as general maintenance.
Have you taken out the soap-powder drawer & cleaned it out? They sometimes get really gunged up & that can affect performance.
If it's a nine year old Miele, it's only a baby.
--
Sam

On 21/01/15 23:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:

What we do is do a boil once a week with towels and bathmats.

It may not be pumping out fully so leaving dirty water behind (Though there is a pressure switch should prevent this.) There is a little hatch on the bottm LH side (front of the machine) prises open. Behind is a cover you can remeve to clean the drain filter/check waste pump is free to rotate. (No tools needed) Needs cleaning every four or five years, Make sure seling surfaces are clean so there areno leaks. May affect performance if badly bunged up.
There is also a loose rubber pipe for draining the machine down and a cable you can pull to open the machine door if there's a problem behind this hatch.
Also check water level of machine (look at glass door) Check belt is tight ie not slipping.
Check water temperatures, hand on glass door & make estimate.
They change the composition of detergents even if it's in the same box. All about saving money.

Belt check is a good idea. We had problems once with motor brushes - but just watching the machine made me realise it was not rotating - but it was going through the cycle.
On 21/01/2015 20:04, fred wrote:

Another thing to check is that the exhaust pump is working properly and clearing all the water from the machine each time it needs to.
If, as happened with my Hoover w/m, the pump is running but at reduced power this is not particularly obvious.
--
Michael Chare

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:02:46 PM UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

A short update.
I passed on relevant suggestions to herself and have heard no more since. Let sleeping dogs lie !