Oil leaking from bottom of Washing Machine

My clothes washing machine is leaking oil from the bottom on to the floor. (I thought these machines had a belt drive off an AC motor (as opposed to a gear box)).

Where's it leaking from, and any tips on fixing it myself?

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Stock (remove the "antis

When your car leaks you dont drive it , Right Get it looked at by a pro before you cost yourself more

Reply to
m Ransley

I had a washing machine to leak oil about 10 years back and it was the transmission. That thing was knocking like mad right before the leak started. I didn't even call the serviceman.... I went shopping for a new one.

Reply to
Wayne

Hi,

About the only part filled with oil is the transmission/gearbox....see oil on the floor = new tranny time.

Some washers have a belt, some have a drive coupler....both styles still have a tranny/gearbox for the agitation.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Ours did the same thing 6 months ago. Sears Service Tech friend recommended buying a new one as repair would cost more than 10 year old washer was worth.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Not to put too fine a point to it, but are you suggesting that it isn't worth it to fix? (even if I do it myself?)

Ian

Reply to
Ian Stock

Hi,

I don't know whom the question was directed to....but a long as the washing machine part is available and the rest of the washer is still is good shape ( no major rusting, ect ) it is -probably- still cheaper to repair the washer than it is to replace it with a new washer. No model# has been posted so we don't know which style of a GE washer it is yet....

older style.
newer style.

Probably best to replace the belt at the same time as it will be covered with oil.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

replying to Ian Stock, Tom wrote: I have a maytag commercial Centennial the cover on the pullies on the bottom of the transmission have oil dripping off all over around it. any suggestions

Reply to
Tom

Tom posted for all of us...

Fix it. Or encase the whole thing with leak seal.

Reply to
Tekkie®