Blackout paint on double glazed window?

Hi,

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

I'm considering spraying the glass with a matt black paint. Are there any potential problems with this?

I ask because I researched tinted film and the advice was dont do it on double glazingg because of differential heat absorbtion between the two panes of glass and the fact that the film restrained expansion of the pane on which it was applied.

Any expert opnion would be much appreciated.

VT

Reply to
Vet Tech

I would block the window with a thin sheet of ply and held in place with small clips or magnetic strip - easily removable and 100% opaque.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Pretty sure you can get proper blackout roller blinds for velux windows. The blind is opaque and the edges run in a channel attached to the sides of frame. Google is your friend...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is the blind light proof? Most fabric isn't, real blackout fabric is deliberately coated to fill the gaps in the weave. Changing the fabric would seem simpler than the glass.

Otherwise tape or pin up a piece of fabric (or window tint film) across the frame. So long as it isn't bonded _to_ the glass, the heat issue isn't a problem.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Fit a proper blackout blind? e.g.

(Velux Shop)

Reply to
Dave Osborne

It's a roller blind and the fabric doesn't reduce the light much. I wasn't able to get a Velux blind that was complete blackout . I dont think they do them.

And being a roller blind there is quite a substantial gap down both sides.

Any comments on the paint idea?

Reply to
Vet Tech

Dave ,

Thanks for the link but they dont appear to do one for the Velux conservation escape type window. Its a diffrent design from the regular velux window. Its very much like an old style metal loft window.

Vt

Reply to
Vet Tech

and its not much of a challenge to make one.

Better to use white paint than black, lot less thermal trouble. If you want 100% blackout, white paint then black paint.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Seeing you bothered to ask here, why don't you ask Velux? Baz

Reply to
Baz

Well then, you could call your friendly local blind company who will come round and measure-up and will make you up a made-to-measure blackout blind, complete with opaque material and ally side/bottom channels. Not cheap, but surely better than losing the light altogether?

Reply to
Dave Osborne

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Vet Tech saying something like:

I did exactly that a decade ago with an excess small gable window and there's been no trouble with it at all. Indeed, on another one I reversed the process by simply scraping the paint off with no ill effects.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon