Double Glazed window 'steaming up'

I have a bedroom DG window that has been getting condensation build up in between the 2 panes for some years now, and would like to know whether I would be able to get a replacement 'panel' for the frame? I had the window installed 17 years ago, so would this mean 'modern' units would all be the wrong size and therefore make this impossible? Or do you reckon it should be a simple task to do?

TIA tim

Reply to
tim

Yes the glass can be replaced BS

Reply to
golfs

it sounds as if the seal's gone you should be able to get a replacement unit from most suppliers just check the depth of the glass

Reply to
Jason

Yes I guess. Reckon it would be expensive (65" x 36")? tim

Reply to
tim

In article , tim writes

Educated guess, 60quid from a glass merchant (cheaper), not a glazier. If you're nervous about fitting it then under a hundred fitted. Wooden, plastic or metal frame?

Reply to
fred

Here in Stockport there are several companies specializing in this kind of on-site repair - look in your local Yellow Pages for something like "Double Glazing Surgeon" or "Window Doctor", etc.

Reply to
Exiddor

I have been quoted £80 a square metre.

Reply to
BeeJay

UPVC...yea, not sure I'd want to do it myself, as I wouldn't have a clue about how to get the existing one out! tim

Reply to
tim

whether I

theres always the demisting trick. Drill small hole in corner using tile drill. Apply direct sun to window to dry it out - use mirror or other heat source if itdoesnt get direct sun. fill hole with clear sealant.

Its a repair, but one thats liable to fail again after a while, since the unit is left unsealed. But I've heard of people having no further problem years down the line, so...

If the window gets direct sun in normal use I might even be tempted to fit a filter to the hole and let it demist itself effortlessly in future.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

They probably take the sealed unit apart, clean the class, and reassemble with new dessicant seals. Saves replacing the glass itself which is fine. You might even find a local glazing unit manufacturer who will do this while you wait if you can live with a large hole in the window for a few hours.

Whilst the unit is out of the window, check the drainage holes in the frame. The most common reason for failure of sealed units is they end up sitting in a puddle of water in the frame because it can't drain out. In cold weather, the puddle freezes, stressing the dessicant seals. The water should be able to freely drain out of the bottom of the channel. (Water will always get in there as the rubber weather strip is not completely waterproof.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , tim writes

Price update for you, a guy in uk.d-i-y has just had one a bit larger than yours done for 145quid:

fred