Double Glazed Window problem

I have two double glazed windows with the same problem. Water doesn't drain out and it builds up and eventually comes through the seal as in
http://home.btconnect.com/creigiau/images/window/window.jpg
where it's marked in red
I have taken one (the small one) apart and cleaned it and thought I'd sorted it but it still leaks when it rains - I think you can possibly see rain on the picture there but the quality's not that good.
Why isn't the water draining away? What can I do?
Thanks -- John Kelly
remove dimspam if replying by mail
John Kelly wrote:

It's not a question of water draining away, it shouldn't have a way in to start with. A seal has perished somewhere I would think. If they're wooden (I can't really tell from the pic), it's possible you have some rot and the rain is soaking through the frames.
Stuart Noble wrote:

They're uPVC. The one is fairly old (8 - 10 years I think) whereas the other one is new but very badly fitted. The builder has since emigrated so I can't do much about that except replace it or rather replace the seals.
Thanks
--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by mail
John Kelly wrote:

On second thoughts, are they sliding sashes? Could be that the rain is simply blowing under the bottom sash and through the staff bead/frame joint
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:04:54 +0000, John Kelly

Are you sure it's not condensation ? My substantial wood front door has a fair amount of water sitting at the bottom of the lower panels on particularly cold nights.
Andy
Andy Cap wrote:

Positive - it's absolutely full in the internal frame bit beneath the glass
Thanks
--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by mail
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:47:40 +0000, John Kelly wrote:

There should be drain holes in the bottom section of the frame. These can either be on the exterior face of the frame and covered with a cap or if the frame sits on a sill in the base near the front exterior edge so they drain into the gap between frame an sill.
Do they exist? If so are they blocked with swarf or general gunge?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Is it possible to clean them out though? As far as I can make out the holes are in the frame and then disappear into it. I've tried poking things down the holes but nothing comes out. I've also tried filling the frame with water and it does come out of the drainage holes (on the one window anyway) but when it rains like it does now (heavy against the window) it seems to fill up and not empty.
John Kelly wrote:

Just thinking aloud - could I drill into the frame to let the water out?
Thanks
--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by mail
A tap on the bottom of the frame.
Problem cured.

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:30:35 +0000, John Kelly wrote:

Poking down? I'd sort of expect the words "up" for bottom drainage or "in" for face.

There should be a drain holes in the rebate that the sealed unit sits in. These take any leakage into the hollow body of the frame and thus to the bottom or face drain holes.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I meant poking down from within the frame.

So there really should be only minor leakage into this rebate beneath the glass? I just assumed it was meant to be wet a lot of the time. Sounds like the problem I've got is that the seals aren't okay so replacing them may cure the problem....
Where do I get seals? Do they sell that sort of thing in the DIY places?
Thanks
--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by mail
John Kelly wrote:

My experiences suggest you're better getting a local dg repair firm in. Parts are difficult to source, and not cheap when you find them. I had someone in to replace the bottom panel in a neighbour's door. She wanted glass replaced with a solid panel and cat flap. They did the job for little more than the plastic was going to cost me
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:49:01 +0000, John Kelly wrote:

You need to get outside and check the exterior drain holes be they in the face or base above the sill (if fitted). If there isn't any sill the you should have face drains.

Anything that gets in should just drain straight out, obviously droplets might remain but not channels or frames full of water. Certainly should be enough to come out of the glazing bead inside.
Looking at that picture that particular glazing bead is a pretty awful fit. When fitted properly they should look as if they are part of the frame, no gaps, just a joint line.

Not normally available in DIY sheds. Trouble is the seals are not "standard" but vary with make of frame. Best bet is probably to get a local firm in. Choose one that has been trading for 10 years +, does have big flashy ads, preferably with local recomendations.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I think you omitted the word "not" there somewhere.
--
http://www.strike-the-root.com /
On 9 Jan 2007 13:19:23 GMT, Huge wrote:

Correct. "does NOT have big flashy ads", one could add on TV or printed.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

FWIW, for anyone in the Bedford area, I would whole-heartedly endorse Addison-Ousebank; http://www.addisonousebank.co.uk /
No connection except as a satisfied customer...
--
http://www.strike-the-root.com /