double glazed windows & mould problem

Sometime ago we had double glazed windows fitted, but have found in our main bedroom we now have a problem with mould growing in the plaster around the window, mainly at the top and sides. We do have far more condensation on the glass in the mornings as they are shut over night, but opened during the day.

My question is this a fitting problem or normal with double glazed windows?

Also what is the best was to clean up and stop the mould?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Reply to
John

Part of the problem may be that double glazing has reduced the draughts so you now have less ventilation. Bedrooms are prone to condensation in cold weather when the windows are closed at night because we breath out water vapour which will condense out on any cold surfaces. You can use an anti-fungicide or mould killer

or diluted bleach to kill the mould but it will come back eventually if the surface is damp. Depends on whether the wall is emulsion painted or wallpapered as to whether you can use a chemical. You also need to make sure that the dampness isn't caused by water leaking in from outside.

Reply to
DIY

I had the same problem with a house I have just bought,every room in the house had thick black mould in them around windows and sills a lot in corners of the rooms and some on the ceiling.I eventually went to a university for info on getting rid of it.this is what I was told

  1. u cannot kill it
2.u can get rid of the black by using bleach 3.treat with an antifungicide diluted (it took me quite a while to find it) 4.paint the wall with anti damp paint and then decorate.I found the antifungicidal solution at a decorators merchants. but all this is useless if as in my case there is not adequate heating and ventilation

Liz

Reply to
liz richards

We use a dehumidifier in the winter months and find this prevents condensation forming on windows and therefore prevents mould from forming.

Reply to
beachlife

You need adequate heating and ventilation (especially ventilation) but insulating the problem areas may help. I had this problem on the gable end wall of a house. I used blown vinyl wall paper for the wall and upvc cladding around the window reveals. Gave a warmer surface sufficient to stop the mould but may not work in every case. I also opened up the vents at the top of the stairs and on the landing that some previous owner had sealed and wallpapered over.

Reply to
AlanG

the lady that lived in the house had two electric and 1 storage heater,she never opened the windows, poor dear was blind so she couldn't see all the mold nut the smell was unbelievable. hopefully I have solved the problems now.

Reply to
liz richards