Sometime ago we had double glazed windows fitted, but have found in our main
bedroom we now have a problem with mould growing in the plaster around the
window, mainly at the top and sides.
We do have far more condensation on the glass in the mornings as they are
shut over night, but opened during the day.
My question is this a fitting problem or normal with double glazed windows?
Also what is the best was to clean up and stop the mould?
Thanks in advance,
Part of the problem may be that double glazing has reduced the draughts so
you now have less ventilation. Bedrooms are prone to condensation in cold
weather when the windows are closed at night because we breath out water
vapour which will condense out on any cold surfaces. You can use an
anti-fungicide or mould killer (http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/122040 ) or
diluted bleach to kill the mould but it will come back eventually if the
surface is damp. Depends on whether the wall is emulsion painted or
wallpapered as to whether you can use a chemical. You also need to make sure
that the dampness isn't caused by water leaking in from outside.
I had the same problem with a house I have just bought,every room in the
house had thick black mould in them around windows and sills a lot in
corners of the rooms and some on the ceiling.I eventually went to a
university for info on getting rid of it.this is what I was told
1. u cannot kill it
2.u can get rid of the black by using bleach
3.treat with an antifungicide diluted (it took me quite a while to find it)
4.paint the wall with anti damp paint
and then decorate.I found the antifungicidal solution at a decorators
but all this is useless if as in my case there is not adequate heating and
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:03:08 -0000, "liz richards"
You need adequate heating and ventilation (especially ventilation) but
insulating the problem areas may help. I had this problem on the gable
end wall of a house. I used blown vinyl wall paper for the wall and
upvc cladding around the window reveals. Gave a warmer surface
sufficient to stop the mould but may not work in every case. I also
opened up the vents at the top of the stairs and on the landing that
some previous owner had sealed and wallpapered over.
the lady that lived in the house had two electric and 1 storage heater,she
never opened the windows, poor dear was blind so she couldn't see all the
mold nut the smell was unbelievable.
hopefully I have solved the problems now.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.