double glazed windows

We have single glazed stanly sliding windows, I am thinking about making some thermally efficient windows and was looking for design tips to achieve that end . Looking around, see some that reduce noise levels more than others and was curious what the attributes of these are . any info or groups /web sites that could provide info would be appreciated .....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

Our certainteed windows blocked the noisy skateboarders when installed

5 years ago. Pleasant surprise to say the least!
Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
Paul O.

The glass in double pane windows is a single sealed unit consisting of the two panes of glass with a spacer around the edge. An inert gas is inside the sealed unit.

You can certainly make your own double pane windows, but you'll need to buy the sealed glass from a glass shop. I remember it cost my dad like $150 to have one replaced 15 years ago.

Personally, I would never make my own windows unless you really, really like the look of real wood windows. Wood windows require constant upkeep. A good vinyl or aluminum window should last just about forever with little upkeep.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert