Circular chip in Double Glazed window

A round chip about a one Cm in diameter on the outside pane in a first floor window has penetrated the external pane. Leaving a hole of about one millimeter right through the glass. Is there any glass repair type kit that could be recommended? Even if it could just block the tiny pin hole in the outer pane glass.

Reply to
john curzon

car winscreens are often repaired with iirc epoxy.

Reply to
Animal

They are, however, not deigned for penetrating holes. The resin is applied with some pressure and I suspect it would therefore leak through the hole. Glass repair tape would, at least, provide a seal.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

How would you prevent moisture in the air between the panes from condensing in cold weather? Maybe you should just let it "breathe".

Reply to
Max Demian

Or grind the hole a bit bigger to beable to introduce thru a small funnel as much ground oven-activated silica gel crystals before sealing the hole with whatever. I remember getting away with water-glass , thru MOTs , on a scratched windscreen

Reply to
N_Cook

Chuck in some dessicant and use epoxy to plug the hole

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Water glass", aka sodium silicate, is what they used to use to preserve eggs (not sure if they were fresh or hard boiled). How would that fix a windscreen (which isn't double glazed in any case)?

Reply to
Max Demian

I suspect to stand any chance the repair would need to be done on the hottest of summer days (not in mid winter) after a long dry spell.

One of my double glazing units took a direct hit from a stone off the lawn mower. It eventually corroded to blazes internally at the bottom as traces of water refluxed in the cavity.

It is very viscous and wets out cracks and is caustic enough that it doesn't smear on the windscreen wiper test. The price I expect you pay is that it makes the cracks propagate even faster through stress corrosion cracking. All alkalis will dissolve glass to some extent.

Glycerine might be a more innocuous choice of wetting agent to hide windscreen scratches.

If you want a good example of stress corrosion try wetting out with methanol on any random piece of plastic cutlery (remembering that it is toxic by inhalation and skin contact) and gentle flexing. You too can play at being Uri Geller...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Fresh eggs. My parents stored eggs that way.

Reply to
charles

That is very unusual, Normally glass would have so manystresses that it would star and the cracks grow over time . Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But they have access to the other side, and I think if it did penetrate, you would still need a windscreen. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The car windscreen repair kit probably relies on the laminating plastic layer not being penetrated. The kit seals to the surface of the glass and a syringe is used to form a partial vacuum to then allow the epoxy filler to be drawn into the chip (without trapped air bubbles).

The problem with a hole in a DG unit is that moisture has already entered between the glass panels and unless this can be removed prior to sealing the hole condensation will always form inside the DG panel.

Reply to
alan_m

Mine also, in a bucket of waterglass in the pantry. We kept hens so always had a supply of eggs. That was in the early 1950's, so probably a hang-over from wartime, when everyone 'dug for victory' (and kept hens where they could). The preserved eggs were fine for cooking (in cakes etc), but apparently not so good for eating direct, as in boiled or fried.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

we moved house in 1957 and I know my mother kept eggs that way in the new house.

Reply to
charles

It is quite possible to get double units made to order to the exact size that you need. If the window is glazed from the inside it may well be quite easy to replace the glass if it is not to large.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It didn't one one I had, but it did happen in summer and I put gaffer tape over the hole before it rained.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I've not used such kits, so.... If the resin is applied with pressure that suggests it's viscous, so no problem. If you do have the block the hole with clear epoxy first, what's the problem? As for humidity, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You've got less vapour in wet winter air than in dry summer, and dg units don't normally stay sealed, and usually are fine.

Reply to
Animal

Could that not be mitigated by warming the inner leaf, before sealing?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Warm air absorbs MORE moisture

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Something that small I'd just use a small bead of clear silicon and get used to the flaw. The silicon will eventually discolour but no big deal.

Reply to
John J