High pressure area over Europe, renewables failing

At 0920 Templar Gridwatch is reporting that Wind is producing 1.62% of demand and Solar is at 0.38%.

OCGT and Coal are producing 0.68% and 2.70%, which is more than the total from Wind and Solar.

All the interconnectors bar one are on import, some are maxed out, and hydro is contributing 2.76%.

Gas is at 61.7% of demand.

This is the first wide high pressure area of this winter. It’s going to be here for a few days.

Have we all got our backups sorted?

Reply to
Spike

No, but the government are experts at generating hot air, so we will be OK. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Spike snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid scribeth thus

Just shows up how the energy supply is f***ed good and proper!

And the pratts in the house of loons are masterbating about if new windy mills should be on shore of off shore where it seems their all equally useless,,

So we'll just be in hock to where we can get any gas from

They did keep some coal plants ready to run didn't they?.

Anyone know if the nuclear output is likely to rise up to where it used to be?..

Reply to
tony sayer

We have about 2GW left. and its running now

Not since they closed the first of the AGRs, we have only 5 reactor sires left,. which is ten 500-600MWE reactors of which two are down - one for a steam fault, the other for refuelling, and a third is coming back up to power

That's at best 5GW.

And it looks like Hinkley point wont be ready for another 12 years. That is simply incredible, and has to be deliberate on someone's part.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

3 left I believe. Good job we still import 19% of our coal requirements from Russia (including a lot of coking coal).
Reply to
Andrew