Battery matters

Michael, As you can see from this direct Reply to your post, it had your message inserted in such a manner that it was not visible in the normal place, and I missed it the first time. Please adjust your newsreader so that it displays correctly.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

For some reason, I find keeping a voltmeter attached to my radio rather inconvenient!

They are run until the radio shuts down, saying they are too low for use, and as explained, of the two radios in use, one says this before the other does. The impression given by the rechargeable battery manufacturer is that they are just as good as disposable batteries. I don't have any packaging around to see if there is any caveat about keeping above 1v, but I don't remember any. Your explanation of why one dies sounds correct.

Since I have no idea about Schottky diodes, certainly not me.

Reply to
Davey

- Michael,

- As you can see from this direct Reply to your post, it had your message

- inserted in such a manner that it was not visible in the normal place,

- and I missed it the first time. Please adjust your newsreader so that it

- displays correctly.

Reply to
michael adams

Yeah best to not have to by using the batteries recommended by/for the product.

Some cars give up on their battery before othjers do or so I'm told that all cars and their batteries aren't all equal.

They are when used correctly in equipment designed to take them.

No there wouldn't be it's be like in na simialr way that cars don;t say keep your battery above 10V as car batteries tend to be 12V or up to 13.8V when fully charged. If yuo tried using teh same number of li-ion or MNhi you'd have

10V to start the starter motor rather than 12V.

I've no real idea of when an average car would not start due to a dischareged battery.

Reply to
whisky-dave

snip

Thanks for answering questions that I did not ask, and for not answering the ones that I did.

Reply to
Davey

Michael,

While Outloook Express is an industry news client, it is not standards compliant. I see exactly the same problem that he does, and I'm using Thunderbird on Windows.

OE is now a dead product; MS have replaced it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That said, when used with Quotefix, the worst of its problems are sorted. I've been using it for years with no problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , michael adams writes

Actually, no you are wrong , there is a problem with your posts.

You aren't snipping the signature when you reply (a proper/decent newsreader should do this automatically - to get you message included in this reply I had to cut and paste - normally I wouldn't bother).

A properly formatted signature starts with the line --{space] (You'll see one at the end of this.

If you don't snip that out, then it what happens is when I view your messages, my newsreader displays you message as if it is part of the signature. In my case it displays it in a different colour, A number of times I have clicked through you reply, cos I didn't notice that you had a reply down in what appeared to be the signature. sometimes I might go back, other times I don't bother.

You are of course at liberty to continue to do this, whether or not you are concerned that other users may or may not read/respond your posts is up to you.

Reply to
chris French

Which particular standard are you referring to ?

Unlike HTML very few if any new features have been added to Usenet since its inception so it would be interesting to know which particular standard OE doesn't follow.

OE is an industry standard. Meaning that despite any deficiencies it might have, it achieved the largest market share and thus became the de-facto standard.

Presumably because you upgraded to Vista or Windows 7 and were forced to abandon the industry standard OE which was no longer offered.

But still you were still able to read sufficient of my message to reply to it.

Just as Davey who originally described

" one of those advert. booklet things that come with the Radio Times or whatever." depite claiming not to have read my message all of a sudden started describing it as a "flyer". A semi technical term of which he was previously unaware but which I happened to use in my original reply.

OE fulfils all the functions necessary for a Usenet News client. There are no addition functions or standards which have been added to Usenet which could possibly render OE redundant

With Windows Mail simply for better "integration" with other aplications and to the detriment of the News client .

Which is one of the reasons many users stick with XP which still offers OE.

Whereas you clearly didn't.

Presumably you won't be able to read this post either.

michael adams

michael adams

The fact it can't seem to cope with sigs.

There's a hole in my bucket...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. Couple of comments,

It's surprising that it runs directly from the mains rather than using a generic wall wart, it means it must have gone through an expensive compliance testing.

I see one backlit LCD display not four LED displays.

There is something odd about the perspective of the image, quite apart from it being laterally inverted.

Reply to
Graham.

OE doesn't recognise the standard separator, which gives users the option of including the sig of the person to whom they're responding. This then enables readers to identify the previous poster without the necessity or memorising the header before scrolling down to the bottom of a long thread.

- to get you

Sorry. Cut and paste from where exactly ?

If my message followed the sig of the previous post - even if the same colour, why couldn't you simply add your reply to the bottom of mine ?

With OE once I've read a message and choose to reply I can add text anywhere to that message - top post -post inline or in the middle of existing lines if I so choose.

Unless I top post or reply in line than my message will follow the sig of the previous poster, if I haven't snipped it. As previously explained.

Therein lies your problem I'm afraid. An additional and totally unneccessary "feature" which simply introduces a problem which otherwise simply wouldn't arise. Sigs shouldn't exceed three lines and resumably Turnpike and similar leave a line space so

Sigs shouldn't exceed three lines and presumably Turnpike and similar leave a line space. So things shouldn't be that bad.

But this need to cut and paste has me stumped, I must admit.

michael adams

michael adams

snip

I said that I missed your reply the first time. Having realised that I had seen no reply, I then read beyond the sig., which I should not have had to do. The sig. should signify the end of the current message.

Reply to
Davey

In other words, as I understand it, if I leave an existing sig separator in place and I reply inline, your Newreader of choice strips out anything I posted from where I posted it - leaves all those lines blank - and plonks it all at the end following the sig and separator.

As a matter of interest do you know why it does this ?

What advantages does this offer ?

As otherwise this might seem to be a bug or an issue.

As with the coloured text alluded to in the other reply this appears to be an "extra feature" not available in OE.

michael adams

michael adams

< separator removed >

In other words, as I understand it, if I leave an existing sig separator in place and I reply inline, your Newreader of choice strips out anything I posted from where I posted it - leaves all those lines blank - and plonks it all at the end following the sig and separator.

As a matter of interest do you know why it does this ?

What advantages does this offer ?

As otherwise this might seem to be a bug or an issue.

As with the coloured text alluded to in the other reply this appears to be an "extra feature" not available in OE.

michael adams

michael adams

He's not interested. I had been thinking of killfiling micahel adams anyway, and I think this is the final trigger.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Amazingly enough, he is the only current inhabitant of my kill file - as of a few tens of minutes ago.

A couple of others seem to want to go there as well, but I am usually very tolerant and dislike kill filing anyone.

Reply to
polygonum

No.

You put your reply in the previous poster's signature block. For some reason, although you correctly quoted all the rest of Davey's original article, you didn't quote the retained signature block, so that became your signature block. I don't know OE, but it sounds like it might not be configured correctly. It is a notoriously appalling news client, although some people have managed to use it to generate properly formatted articles.

So you generated an article consisting only of someone else's signature block masquerading as yours, with your contribution all added into the signature block.

Many newsreaders show signature blocks in a different way, so you can quickly see they aren't the main part of the article and ignore them. When replying, they should get stripped off, and so in replying to your post, your whole contribution is stripped off, and there's nothing of yours left to quote.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I began my reply 5 lines below the sig separator.

Which hasn't stopped it becoming the industry standard as a result of being bundled with Windows. The most successful operating sytem in the history of the Universe run by some of the most evil and greedy individuals to have ever walked the Earth. Namely the richest person in the world Bill Gates and his fat sweating loudmouthed former sidekick Steve Ballmer.

Life can be so unfair at times can't it?

I think you maen some people have used to generate articles which can *also be read at a pinch by users of lash-ups such as "knews 1.0c.0".

Presumably knews 1.0c.0 has sorted out some of the bugs in 1.0b.5,1.0b.4,1.0b.3, and 1.0b.2 ?

That's Linux for you. There's probably a new newsreader, or version (see above) coming out every week almost every week. One of them is bound to get it all right in the end.

You know, and I know that if only people would just take Bill And Steve into their hearts, none of these problems would ever arise.

You know it makes sense.

michael adams

michael adams

+1