1-switch + 1-timer in one box?

Is there such a beast - switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer?

Why - I need a timer on the exhaust fan. Current config of nutone bath-fan with 4 switches in a double gang box is:

  • fan, exhaust
  • heater
  • light
  • night-light

There is no room for more boxes. So, I have two choices to accomplish this:

  1. hot wire the night-light, which frees one box for a standard wall timer
  2. find switch that has both a single-pole switch and a timer.
Reply to
wsm0

I looked all over a few months ago trying to solve exactly this same problem. I was unable to find a single box solution which allowed both a timer and a switch to fit in a single box. Perhaps somebody has a solution, in which case I would also love to know about it. Intermatic and the other major timer manufacturers including Nutone did not appear to have a solution.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I may not have understood your post correctly, but if there are four switches in a double gang box then they each must be double switches, so I don't understand how hot wiring the night-light frees up half of the double gang box, isn't the third of the four switches still needed there?

What am I missing?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Do you mean to control TWO things, or a switch and timer for the same thing?

Reply to
mm

. It sounds like a mechanical 'capacity' situation. Wiring the night light permanently could free up one switch of two double switches in the double gang box (small night lights and/or LED 'bulbs' use very little electricity so leave them on all the time?) But that still asks how could some type of timer be accommodated along with the three remaining switches in a double gang box? Could the heater be wired straight through and switched on some other way? I recall, many, many years ago a 'pull switch' mounted in a bathroom ceiling, well out off reach, that was operated by pulling on a non conductive string.

Reply to
terry

There's always room for more boxes. Tip the whole thing on it's side.

Reply to
Goedjn

Look into an X-10 solution if you don't want to open up the wall a bit for a double box.

Reply to
gfretwell

correct, two double switches (all 4 to the same nutone ceiling unit)

hot-wiring the night-light means I can dedicate one box to a standard timer.

I already have the 4 switches, plus two more below for shower and vanity light. I don't want a space ~6 inches wide to be a wall of switches, so I will _not_ put in another box.

anyone use one of those new led bulbs in a fan unit? bloody night light bulds don't hold up to fans.

Reply to
wsm0

other useful devices, for example

wsm0

I wasn't aware these even existed until I Googled "Triple wall switch", but they sure look like they could solve your problem, don't they?

And from a trusted manufacturer too:

Now, let's not hear you bitch about the price.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia