Battery matters

It being unplugged so easily is just as likely to bring complaints.

It's certainly better practice not to have vulnerable sockets attached to the PCB - but just how far do you go? It's a much more expensive way of construction.

If you have kids and animals regularly tripping over power leads etc something else will give. Like the PS itself. I'd be inclined to do something to prevent this - like cover them with rubber matting etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

,

Hint. It comes with a back-up battery so it's no biggy. Certainly WAY less of a problem than the laptop being yanked off your lap, off the arm of the settee or wherever else it's been left to trap the unwary.

As far as customers want and are prepared to pay for. I'm very happy to pay extra for a well designed power connection.

In your lounge? I can see that going down well with your other half (if you have one).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Reply to
Java Jive

and I have one, because I've found the need for one. Overnight we were getting "brownouts" which cause my router to lock up. I had to power down, wait a few minutes and then switch it on again. A UPS solved that. And it also saved a lot of work when we had a genuine outage. Living in the country with partly ovehead line supply we are more likely to have apower outage than in London. Although I was working in W12 that fateful night in April 1964 when the whole of West London lost power.

Reply to
charles

Yes - I can quite understand some in remote places might need one. But I doubt the vast majority of the population do. Or are using their laptops at home for things where it would matter much if it crashed.

That is 50 years ago. Your laptop has probably had several new batteries since then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's slowly heading that way. Bod on R4 this morning said 10% of older generating capacity is going off line by the end of this month, to be replaced by greater use of gas burning.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not a laptop.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'd hazard a guess at one significant cut every two or three years - but maybe a couple of very brief voltage drops/cuts each year. Some will be the sort of thing where if you had six identical PCs, one will fail, one will continue and the other four are in the maybe camp.

Reply to
polygonum

So, it was you that tripped the breakers? I wonder if the birth rate took a leap nine months later.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Most don't end up at feet level where most of the problems occur.

Depends on the bomb as I'm sure bombs have switches too. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well, if you sit on a chair in the middle of the lounge with a cable trailing all the way to a wall socket in a house full of people and pets, I'd say you're asking for trouble. Regardless of whether it's to a laptop or whatever. And it looks like you've proved this for yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my present house I've had about ten in twenty years (that I know about - I'm out at work all day and most things these days recover after an interr uption so I might not know it had happened), and the average for the previo us houses was no better. That's in small and large towns. My mother has had two in the last 18 months, in suburban London. Where I work is more rural, and while things have been better since the con nection to the substation changed from overhead to underground, it still is n't perfect, which is why we have hundreds of kW of UPS capacity and half a dozen backup generators. Before the improvements I can remember getting fi ve power cuts in an afternoon.

Reply to
docholliday93

Fair enough, although the battery on this Dell is the larger capacity one that also forms the upstand at the rear edge of the computer. Not the end of the world of itself, but it also makes a convenient and secure grip for picking up the unit (which rarely leaves home, but portability is still valued :-)..

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

Well when it looses capacity to such a point where you buy a new one, just leave the old one in place, and only use the new one when actually needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is a good theory, but the problem is, that it is never known in advance when it is going to be needed, the need usually occurs spontaneously. What is needed is a routine to be followed that will keep the battery, stored alongside the laptop, ready and charged, and so can be just swapped with the old one in the laptop.

Reply to
Davey