No, its bollocks.
Its an urban myth that arose out of one incident once with nickel
batteries. Everyone today uses Lithium polymer and its completely
irrelevant to that chemistry.
Place it along side teh 'moblie -phones set petrol on dfir when filling
you r car' myth.
Again, concidentally, someone's petrol caught fire about the same time
they took a call. Some bright spark suggested it must have caused a
spark. Every car that drives in has a bonnet full of sparks. On a hot or
very dry day you get far bigger ones between the car and the grounded
metal filler anyway.,
Take it to the gym twice a week, make sure it gets a good portion of fruit n
veg daily, avoid junk food etc :)
Honnestly, just use it as you want to, it'll take care of it's self,
my current laptop is coming upto 3 years old, battery still lasts the 1 hour
45 mins it did when new, and it spends 3/4 of it's life on the charger,
only thing i do that others may not is take the battery out when i'm in the
motorhome and run it directly off the power supply/charger, as it's a 12
volt charger i use, and doing this saves me 2 amp hours from the motorhomes
batteries not charging the lappy whilst powering it on a night, i'll charge
it turned off during the day when the suns out and working me solar panels.
But modern li-po batteries are amazing compared to the old nickel cadmium
batteries use a few years ago, the laptop has built in protection so it wont
let you over discharge them... which is what will kill a li-po battery, but
unless you deliberately remove the protection circuitry from the machine,
you dont even need to think about that.
other thing that dammages li-po's is over working them, i.e. pulling more
power than they are rated for, but modern batteries have very good C
ratings, 30C is pretty common now, that means for a 1 AH li-po battery, you
can pull 30 amps from it safely, but in a laptop this is is irrelivent, i
fly electric model aircraft, where very light small batteries are used to
give performances that almost rival engine powered craft.
so really, just use the laptop how you want, yes in 2, 3, 5, 10 years time
the battery will fail, but you'll have had your moneys worth out of it, and
you wont even think about getting a new battery, as it'd be cheaper to get a
new laptop as your current one will be well out of date and aproaching
Yep, pretty much the same with my Dell - the battery's about the only good
thing about it :-) Must be about 4 years old now, and I still get about 2
hours out of the battery off-charger, and normally run it from the mains
PSU for maybe 95% of the time.
L-Ion batteries comprise multiple cells and a management chip. If a
cell within a L-Ion battery goes sufficiently out of spec then
charging could result in an overheat hazard. The purpose of the
management chip is to identify this risk amongst others and prevent
the battery from charging, rendering it dead but safe.
Some people think that L-Ion batteries have a management chip which
"counts N charge cycles then dies" having experienced several failures
around the same time (usually just out of warranty). It is possible
that a management chip could work on a charge cycle count, but more
likely it operates on overly stringent charge criteria (same thing,
just more difficult for a class-action suit to win!). Basically it
comes down to battery cell quality and matching cell voltages (thereby
achieving a better battery than a production population distribution
of cell voltages would indicate).
With a laptop permanently on mains AC (eg, desktop replacement usage)
the L-Ion battery may be sitting on standby charge for extended
periods - which is known to diminish its capacity. It comes down to
the particular charger design and the controlling software. Thinkpads
for example use a battery conditioner program to extend battery life.
The best solution is to remove the battery and recharge periodically -
unfortunately that loses the "integral UPS" a battery provides during
AC failure and a known charged battery should the laptop be moved off
AC. It comes down to the particular laptop in some cases - I think HPQ
were hard on batteries once, others better (check the relevant forums
I don't believe it is, the problem related to nicads under very specific
circumstances and the myth has spread from that.
In general a battery has a life which is a function of time and the cycles
of discharges and charges, the integral of all the amps flowing.
I have a firend who always disconnects his laptop battery if he is using it
from the mains for this reason plus he says the chargers overheat the
batterry when it is being used. I'm still not sure about this one but I
have managed to kill my laptop battery in 3 years and I seldom used it away
from the mains.
Rather spoils one of the great advantages of a laptop if you unplug the
battery - built in UPS.
Mine is seldom used away from the mains and seems happy enough - HP business
laptop, so may be better quality than some of the cheaper kit.
As is mine. At the moment it says '98% available (plugged in, not
charging)' - which rather suggests that the charging mechanism avoids
doing any charging when the battery is close to full. And the charger
itself is usually fairly cool - only really warming up when it
definitely is charging and being used at the same time.
My previous machine (a Toshiba) suffered only slowly reducing battery
capacity despite being abused. After a few years, I did get a higher
capacity replacement which has so far lasted a couple of years.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.