Bath edge sealing strips.

I've been asked by a friend to tile her bathroom. This isnt a problem, but just above the bath, she is insistent that I use an already bought bath edge sealing strip, similar to pic here:

one they have needs to be placed under the tiles, thus stuck into place, so cannot easily be changed. I suggested that a better soltion would be to just silicone seal all around between the edge and the tiles, but they think the seal strip would look better.

Should I persevere, and try to get them to change their views, or should I use the strip?

If I do use it, any tips to get a real good seal along it?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

for big gaps I've used it a few times.

Is it like this?

is quite common in the sheds & again very good.

The customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer. Silicone doesn't last that long, even the good ones IMO. I reckon this would stay looking better for longer, but you can't ever change it without removing tiles.

The old 'fill the bath' ploy & start a row on battens one tile above it, so that the tile holds it down tightly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OK, I had the impression that they were not very good, but I'll fit it as requested. I presume you need to go all round the bath with silicone before putting on this seal strip, as I cannot see them stopping all leakage. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) saying something like:

The one you illustrate looks like the type that's stuck on later - they're cack and look cack. The type that's trapped under the tiles is much better and, provided it's installed properly with the right quantity and quality of sealer, will provide years of reliable service.

Simply filling the gap with sealer is cack also.

Tip - fill the bath with water when you're fitting the strip.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon