sealing tile

One of the first projects I did was a table for the little kids with tile set in the top. I used the normal tile mastic to attach it to some plywood, then used normal tile grout. Years later, it looks pretty bad, especially the grout. My wife has requested a new kitchen table with a tile top. But I'm worried about the grout. She requested something like bar top over the tile but I think this would look wrong. So I'm looking for alternatives.

What about epoxy instead of mastic and grout? It would sure make the tiles stick. And I could make the epoxy whatever color I wanted. I'm thinking I could make a form with glass or something in the bottom of it, then position the tiles face down, then pour the epoxy over the backs of the tiles. The epoxy would fill in the "grout" lines, maybe helping out the bubbles with a heat gun. If the tiles have a curved edge to them, I might have to sand them square, cut off the curves, or find tiles with sharp corners.. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Or maybe there's a sealant I can put on the grout after grouting that would make it easy to clean? I'm thinking the normal rough texture of grout would be difficult to keep clean.

Any other ideas?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

You can buy epoxy grout. You can buy grout sealant. Pure raw epoxy might be expensive as all get out. You do not choose white grout if you want grout to always be white. That might be an unrealistic expectation. They make latex additives for some grouts to make in stronger, increase adhesion and stain resistance. You get a glazed tile and it might scratch up. Maybe you get a tile that is made for floors that has a harder glaze than a wall tile.

Unsanded grout is smooth. Sanded grout should also be smooth with just a little texture from the sand which is rather fine. Different grouts for different widths of the grout line. The choice of tile can also affect the choice of a proper grout.

Reply to
Jim Behning

My stepson lays tile floors for a living, and he advised us to use epoxy grout in our new kitchen floor, for just the reasons you mentioned. He also sets all his tile in thinset mortar instead of mastic, didn't sound like the process was too much different.

I think you 'd be better off using tried and true measures rather than to start a new experiment.

My $.02

Old Guy

Reply to
Old guy

Brian, there are tile/grout sealers which do not affect the overall look of the product. The caveat is that it needs to be reapplied at regular intervals. Also, for a floor situation I use thin set rather than mastic. I only use mastic if I am tiling a wall. -G

Reply to
Mr. G D Geen

Tue, Jan 16, 2007, 4:01pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (brianlanning) My wife has requested a new kitchen table with a tile top. But I'm worried about the grout. She requested something like bar top over the tile but I think this would look wrong. =A0=A0So I'm looking for alternatives.

Well, one alternative would be to do it your way, then have to listen to your wife bitch, until you change it to her way.

Personally, I think her way is good, and should look good. If you don't like it's looks you can always use a tablecloth. It'd get irritating to me, hearing dishes click on a slightly uneven tile top too.

JOAT A problem adequately stated is a problem well on its way to being solved.

- R. Buckminster Fuller

Reply to
J T

Actually, there isn't a her way. She just wants it to be easy to clean.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I agree with the epoxy grout suggestion. The stuff is tough as nails and if you need to remove a tile, you literally have to burn the grout out.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.