Stone Tile Sealing?

I'm about to do some kitchen wall tiling using natural limestone or suchlike. 4" squares I made enquiries in two tile retailers regarding sealing.

The first said stick them on the wall, seal then grout, thus making cleaning the surplus grout easier. The second said do the sealing last so that the grout gets sealed.

Both ways therefore have their merits. I would like to hear about the experience and preferred method of others.

Thank you

mark b

Reply to
mark b

I did both. Sealed after mounting, and sealed the grout and tiles with a second coat. That was marble.

I uses lithofin intensifier...really brought it up nicely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You absolutely MUST do both.

Seal before grouting. Several times. Until it takes no more. Then grout. Then clean grout. IMMEDIATELY! Then seal again, concentrating on the grout lines, but covering the whole surface to avoid lines.

Note that once the stone has saturated with sealant, it doesn't take any more. Therefore, the extra layers of sealant won't be costing you much, it will just run off. Ensure that after 30 minutes, you mop up any excess.

As for sealants, definitely use Lithofin MN StainStop. If you want a wet look, also use Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer. Available from

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle