Bath-to-tile sealing strips

Evenin' All

I've just bought a couple of these SEALASTRIP uPVC things from Homelux. To be honest I can't see how they will work to my satisfaction (I am very demanding). The strip comprises a vertical part that is fixed to the tile surface using a couple of lines of black gooey stuff. The bottom part of the strip rests on the bath edge. I can see that both of these contact points will be watertight, but due to the profile of the strip, it would appear that some water will be retained in a channel created where the vertical bit meets the arched bit. The profile is more of an 'h' shape than an 'L' shape. Has anybody here used these? Did you also find the profile a bit strange? Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

Horrible things. You can beat a bit of silicone sealant. If you want a nice neat edge to the silicone round the bath apply masking tape and remove before the silicone sets. I did this around the bath in my last house and it worked well, looks great and gives a flexible seal.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

I used a bead of silicone to provide the seal and then a bath sealing strip to provide a neat finish, and additional seal - therefore two seals. There is a shower over the bath and no leaks!

Alan

They might be horrible things, but when your bath is next to a wall which isn't square (the gap is tapered), then the selaing strips do sort of hide this.

Reply to
Graeme

This is probably my favourite approach so far.

Reply to
Graeme

Just remember to fill the bath full of water, right up to the overflow pipe, before you apply the seal strip. You should also have a silicone sealant solution applied to between the bath and wall first, also using the full bath of water method, as a backup seal just in case the strip pops off due to damage.

You shouldn't see huge puddles of water trapped in the little channel if you've fitted the strip properly.

Reply to
BigWallop

snipped >>>

I had the same uneven gap problem so what I did was fill the gap with sealant then got some lengths of hard plastic tile trim from Homebase . I think its actually intended to put at the top of wall tiles . I used white to match the bath altho' you can get other colours . I cant recall the makers name . I then filled the bath and fixed the trim at an angle between wall and bath using a mitre saw to cut the compound angle at the one corner between the two walls . It worked very well and continues to do so Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

But the profile is 'h' shaped, not 'L' shaped. There is only one way to fix the strips that I have. Everyone that uses these strips must be in the same boat. Ah well, I await Homelux's reply.

Reply to
Graeme

Good idea. Did you stick the plastic tile trim to your tiles or the wall? What adhesive did you use?

Reply to
Graeme

Both-I used silicone Stuart

Reply to