Laminate floor around curved bottom stair

Does anyone know a good way to fit laminate flooring around the bottom of a flight of sairs? The problem I'm anticipating is how to fit the flooring against the riser for the bottom stair. This riser has a curved shape and is carpeted.

Obviously I can't use standard edge quadrant because this is not curved (though perhaps the plastic kind can be gently heated and bent into shape?) and won't fit neatly against the vertical carpet on the stair riser anyway.

I think I should be able to cut the laminate to a matching curve and trim the carpet back so that the edge of the laminate floor is recessed under the edge of the carpet. I may have to move any grippers up slightly but that should be easy. Is that the best way or is there a trick I haven't thought of?

Thoughts/hints/experiences welcomed.

Si

Reply to
Simon

Simon

I had a very similar problem when I put tiling laminate down in my kitchen. One of the kitchen end units is curved. There was no problem cutting the curve on the laminate itself - just used a jig-saw but, as you say, it's fitting the 'trim' strip that's the problem. I solved it by cutting the trim into small tapered blocks, each about 3/4" long and sticking them onto the curved base of the unit with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. The 'tiled' laminate I used was a sort of 'limed' colour and the adhesive dried white so I also used it to fill any gaps between the blocks. The finished result is excellent and several people have asked, "How did you do that?" !! If your laminate is wood then you could use a matching wood filler to fill the gaps. The whole job was slightly laborious but worth it in the end!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Having re-read your original post I realise that my solution may not be suitable because of the stair riser carpeting coming down to floor level. Sorry about that! In your case I would follow your own suggestion and pull the carpet away slightly. Fit the laminate flooring a little bit closer (ie smaller expansion gap) than normal and then re-fit the carpet to cover the gap.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

we went for a slighly smaller expansion gap, cut some of the cork 'edging' and packed it in tight, the carpet then 'fluffed' out and the pile covers the edging - looks pretty good according to swmbo (phew!!) Nik

Reply to
NikV

I did this recently in the hall.

All round the edges I removed the skirting and replaced afterwords, as anything else is I think a bodge.

Up against the UPVC front door frame and the bottom stair riser (and round a "built-in" coir doormat) I used the Pergo edging strip that is made for going up against vertical things such as patio doors. (Actually in the Pergo range these are now called a "three in one" threshold strip I think.) These involve screwing a metal "U" channel to the floor and then bashing the moulding into it. You only get one go because it can't then be pulled out without destroying the back of the moulding so you have to get everything cut to shape first!

Round the bottom of the stairs I did it in a few straight sections and the edge of the carpet comes down and hides any small gaps where the curvature of the bottom riser would be visible.

Pretty pleased with the result.

I've put a couple of pics at:

they're not "showhouse" quality - the floor has been down a few months and the kids have already had a good bash at the nearby woodwork, etc.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

replying to Simon, DandDflooring wrote: Cutting the underside of the bullnose will give a neater finish without any trim

Reply to
DandDflooring

You make a paper template and use that to mark the laminate.

Reply to
harry

Laminate flooring is designed to float.

What do you do with the gap that will undoubtedly grow?

Reply to
Fredxxx

He's probably just about finished now after 11 years!

Reply to
The Other John