Any thoughts for covering internal bricks walls?

Hi all,

Any thoughts or suggestions for the following.

My house is a traditional 1940's 3 bed-semi, with a "lean-to/utility" on the side.

Want to decorate this "lean-to" and change it from being just a brick outhouse to a nice utility room. I've already made a false floor to raise it level with the kitchen / front & back doors, now I looking to cover the brick walls.

The "lean-to/utility" side is about 17ft by 5ft.

I thought of plasterboarding the whole utility room but I think it will cost alot to have the whole room skimmed by a plasterer.

I had thought of painting straight onto plasterboard or even wallpapering (but worried it maybe too damp/or not suitable for wallpaper).

Any other thoughts for cover the walls?

Thanks In advance

JAK

Reply to
jak

Textured paint? Thats what I used on what was an outside wall and is now one wall of my utility room. The other walls, in what is now a study, I battened and covered with plasterboard.

Reply to
BillR

I would still go for the plasterboard. If you don't want to pay for it to be skimmed (and you don't want to do it yourself? ) then just tape and fill the joints and cover with lining paper and then paint - et voila!

You could also just lime wash the walls. This may make the room feel a bit cold.

Reply to
Reader

You dont have to, you can just use jointing plaster to fill the joints, do it yourself.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

And make sure the plasterboard doesn't have the tapered edges.

Reply to
BigWallop

Doesn't? Surely to avoid skimming you would use tapered edge boards then tape and fill the joints ready for basecoat. (Said with a hallway full of t/e boards)

Reply to
Toby

If you're going to tape and fill joints, then you're half way to skimming the whole lot. With straight edge boards, all you need is a squirt of decorators caulk down the seams to finish them off.

Reply to
BigWallop

I'm just about to cover the inside brick walls of my outhouse with polystyrene backed insulation board. Comes in a variety of thicknesses. I'm using 8' x 4' sheets of 22 mm thick (£9.85 incl. vat) and 40 mm (£15.82 incl vat) from a local BM. Phone around for best prices. Use plasterboard adhesive to stick it to the walls. Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow