Drilling through internal solid walls...........

Hi

I'm running network wiring through my flat and want to know the best way to drill through internal solid walls (they may be breeze blocks, bricks or concrete...i'm not sure).

I'm not sure if I should check for internal steel rods? If so how?

Also I think the internal wiring runs run at ceiling height inside wood runs in the internal walls, is there an easy way to check this without drilling?

I have a B&D hammer jack drill, would I be better renting a pro drill?

TIA

Paul Duffy