"solid" pine internal doors

Hi,

Is it possible to buy "solid" wooden internal doors or does everything nowadays have a chipboard core and wood veneer? I need to replace two doors that have been cut down.

If "solid" doors can be bought, can you let me know a UK supplier?

Thanks,

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

Wickes for budget conscious ones, Travis Perkins for nicer ones. Big price difference. Clear are more stable than knotty.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How about reclaimed?

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1. I have a Wickes one, but it went slightly "out of plane" when I stored it leaning against a wall for a couple of days. So follow the instructions and store it flat!
Reply to
newshound

Google found lots of hits for "solid pine doors".

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Can you describe the type of door you want to match? Internal doors come in different thicknesses especially if older. And the thickest made out of solid wood would be extremely heavy. Hence most being panelled.

Many that appear solid from one side are actually a frame on the other.

And a door made out of solid wood is going to warp much more easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1. No brainer. Since they're being thrown out wholesale in favour of fire doors, you should be able to pick them up for not much locally. And if they haven't warped yet, they probably never will
Reply to
Stuart Noble

If it's gonna go, nothing will stop it. If you put a ton weight on it, it will crack everywhere. Have many t-shirts from that range

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Wouldn't a solid wood door be classified as a fire door? In domestic terms?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you can often get them dip stripped - so refinishing is easy.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, indeed, and when you dig a little deeper, i.e. contact the supplier of such "solid" doors, the response is, "Solid? Of course, sir. Solid chipboard core with a real wood veneer." Charlatans.

Reply to
clive.r.long

Good idea. Willesden Salvage are advertising 4 panel Victorian pine doors. I will take a look. I suppose it will all depend on what is there when I go.

Ta

Reply to
clive.r.long

The new doors here are

Clear, engineered, pine. Fairly hefty and haven't moved at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah. There's a big difference between a solid wood door and a 4 panel one.

Plenty make panel doors made from solid wood.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can - I've done this with the Victorian doors at my last 2 homes. And while the wood does look nice, it can uncover all manner of splits and spliced in bits - so they look 'distressed' in a truer sense of the word. Doesn't bother me, but might some.

Reply to
RJH

Would be useful in domestic terms - might give enough time to get out.

In the early 90s a place in Doncaster had to replace all of its internal doors (20+) with fire doors. The doors were about 7' or so and 3' wide, so the cost...! Bloody idiots burnt the lot - how much would solid oak doors be worth? - and apparently, horizontal on top of a good fire, a door would take over 30 minutes to burn through. Vertically, it'd be a lot longer - certainly more than the 30-min. rated doors that were fitted.

Reply to
PeterC

That's the requirement. To hold back fire for a given time. Doesn't really matter how it's done. You could clad the original door in fireproof board. On a panel door, it's the thin panels which are the problem - not the frame.

The originals would have had to be solid, though. Ie the same thickness throughout - no panels. Unusual for an internal door as it would weigh a ton.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nearly a thousand used wooden doors on EBay ATM. Some must be local

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They were rather ancient and very heavy. Easy to swing but needed some care to start and, particularly, stop - those who didn't know tended to have a surprise.

Reply to
PeterC