Covering spalled rustic bricks

Either side of our front door, we have two columns of rustic bricks, which protrude from the general brick wall about half a brick. They begin at ground level and progress all the way up to a (rather useless) concrete overhang. This later precast item sticks out around 20", but as the prevailing wind is face on to the front wall, it offers no protection at all. The bricks are quite soft and in places spalling quite a lot. I have been wondering quite what to do about the bricks.

One idea I had was to simply cement over them, reproducing a brick like pattern in the mortar before it sets up, then paint them over. I have already had to do similar where a brick has spalled its face completely at the base.

Another idea was to clad over the top with wood, or plastic cladding. At a pinch I suppose I could look for stone cladding, but as it would be the only stone, it might look rather odd. The plastic cladding would need to have some sort of fluted pattern in it, to make it look half reasonable, but do they sell anything like that? Wood I would expect to rot quite rapidly, as it would be sat in water at the base and the rest quite exposed.

Just scratching around for ideas at the moment..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

going to look horrible.

Or you could tile over them. Something to suit the buiding's era maybe. Plastic can always have the attentions of a router.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr