Age-Related Aches and Pains

Those calories do not count.

Reply to
ARW

I have most of my problems on Day minus 1,2,3... Getting prepared, making sure I have the parts then psyching up to start.

Once going, it usually goes OK, but at half the predicted speed... Sure there are no surprises in the last statement!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have a look at:

Not necessarily easier...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I think the latter one is the one I saw recently which suggested the method I described up-thread a bit as a way of fooling your body into burning a greater proportion of fat during rest for up to half a day later. Perhaps less intensive than the other methods described so may be more attractive to those starting out.

Worth mentioning that the series is named, "The Truth About . . . . " with last word varying depending on the specific topic under discussion eg. Fat, Exercise etc so not the same title every week.

Reply to
fred

I used MFP for quite a while and 1600 is both do-able - and works.

I started at 294lb in June and was at 238lb by Christmas. My 'allowance' was initially 1750 kcal but dropped to 1550 as I lost weight and burned a bit less.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The article was very interesting - thank you...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm 262lbs and the best I've managed it to knock 4lbs off.

I'm going to try scaling back the calories a tiny bit and watching like a hawk on MyFatnessPal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It promised me 2lb a week, and delivered.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think it varies a lot with age. The older you are the slower the metabolism. So 600 calories a day works for me, but the effect is time limited, after a week or two, the rate of weight loss reduces significantly. Wine drinking is bad news at 300cals per glass.

Reply to
Capitol

Age is factored into the calculations they give you. I'm 64.

Yes, I've mostly given it up unless I've been working hard at DIY!

Reply to
Bob Eager

One thing I learnt though was:

I am a "feaster". I can starve for a fair while, but when I eat, I stuff my face given a chance.

Low GI foods like wild rice do seem to help moderate my appetite.

Reply to
Tim Watts

At 49 I was the oldest engineer my old boss ever employed. Initially he refused me due to my age. Then he came back to me. At 62 I helped out on a major house renovation and got very well paid for it. The heartbreaking part was watching guys of your age lifting lintels under one arm whilst I had to use a wheelbarrow.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yep, I also work on them, they are classed as the smaller projects.

Reply to
ARW

That is because you haven't scaled back the calories enough.

You need to scale them back a lot.

and watching like

I lost more than 20%, from 70KG down to 55KG just by eating less.

Reply to
john james

The one thing I really notice is lifting: 40 years ago I used to manage

50kg cement sacks, now I couldn't lift one with serious risk of injury.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'm feeling it now at 70+ - and one of my 6 year old grandkids even beat me at arm wrestling after Sunday lunch today. Well he is a strong little bugger and he cheated by using both his arms at the same time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

On a serious note, I can still do many jobs, as long as they aren't at floor level (a bugger to get up again). I also find that the kettle, teapot and my very old (and full of sawdust and shavings) workshop arm chair get used a lot more now than it used to during the jobs that I do in the shop.

The one good thing of old-age though, is that the eldest grandkids will help their bampi Cash by doing some of the floor and bench work for me - while I sit there drinking tea, eating the biccies and reading the daily paper (naughty mags are forbidden in that workshop by the boss SWMBO)!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Upto a point - I have done that before and the problem is, overdone, it's unsustainable - then you tend to go back to normal eating and get fat again really fast,

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think it was Billy Connolly who observed that those noises you make when getting up from the sofa get louder.

Reply to
stuart noble

I danced for a while in my 20s and restarted when I was 59 (now 61). We had an all-day (about 6 hours) practice last Saturday and this coincided with an energetic English ceilidh for 3 hours in the evening - no ill effects but certainly slept well. Weight 79kg and going down (slowly, probably due to ale and wine!)

In case you don't know, Morris Dancers will be dancing-in the sunrise on May 1st at a location near you and many will then be touring or going to schools to teach a dance to the kids. Beware! ;-)

Reply to
<no_spam

Hitting 40 was no problem Ditto hitting 50 but after 60 it starts to hurt a nd after 70 I get tired much quicker. A little snooze around mid-day helps. Lifting is no problem but grip in both hands is gone to hell and kneeling, no, getting down to kneel and getting up again, is a real bastard. Now I'm very careful where I place things.

Weight is a constant battle. Only answer is stop eating. Exercise per se is boring though I enjoy the bike in the good weather.

But what's the point moaning. My generation is lasting much better than our parents generation. My father died at 56. My mother made it into her seven ties but suffered dementia for her last few years.

Hey ho. I still work 5 days a week and enjoy what I do.

Reply to
fred