what to plant here

Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing its west facing but i have very very limmited funds

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg | |Download:
irene24

Brooklyn1

It is impossible to say unless you give some idea of what you want to do with the area and even then it is a very big question.

In gardens there is no such thing as one size fits all within a limited budget of space and time. Do you want to sit there in summer or in winter, do you want children to play there, just to have a nice outlook from the house or to feed a family of four? I presume that when you had the trees cut down there was some purpose in mind. What was it? If there was no plan other than 'let's cut down the trees' you have not made an auspicious start.

Having worked out what you want then we get on to issues of soil, rainfall, climate and aspect which determine how much of your vision is possible and the content of how you do it. This is going to take some effort if you cannot pay for help. Some study, planning and thought will save you wasting money on plants that won't grow or a sore back from digging for no good purpose.

For a start go to the local lending library and get some books on basic garden design. This will give you some idea of the scope of what you might do and what is involved in doing it. Then make a realistic assessment of whether you can learn do it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Wow, looks like a bomb went off.

First clear the rubble.

Second, looks like a section of the fence is being held up with braces. That's no good. Replace entire fence and match the adjacent fence.

Plant tallest stuff you want at the back.

Then vegetables if you want, flowers if you want, lawn if you want, patio.

Reply to
Dan Espen

My choices would be either Honeysuckle for its smell, or Wisteria for the beauty of its Springtime blooms. With the honeysuckle, make sure that it is scented, some aren't. Both will require attention, as they tend to try to escape.

In general, I'd do as David recommends. Sweet peas may do for you until you find a solution. Go to local nurseries and see what they have to offer. A little study will save you a lot of work later.

Reply to
Billy

This peace of land is where the persons at the back have moved the boundery and left all theire rubbish for me to clear as you can see its very hard to clear it I thought of planting rambling roses and maybe some ground cover but as i have dogs small as they are they will be going on it My question is what to plant as ground cover

irene24

While it could be argued that RAMBLING roses have the most beautiful and fragrant flowers, when it comes to sheer sustained flowering, CLIMBERS win hands down. While ramblers flower in dramatic surges or flushes - two a year at most, climbers flower repeatedly and continuously, sometimes from spring to fall.

When you say that your dogs will be going on the ground cover, I presume that you mean that they will be relieving themselves on it. In that case, I'd suggest ivy. We have dogs that use it for that purpose, but again it will require some effort to keep it contained. There's an old saying about ivy: "The first year it creeps, the second year it crawls, and the third year it leaps".

A more ornamental ground cover would be something like Dianthus 'Bath's Pink' (Cheddar pink), any of the Daylilies, English daisy, or Acaena inermis 'Purpurea' (Purple sheep's burr, Purple goose leaf) to name a few.

Reply to
Billy

With limited funds, I would not recommend buying plants or ground covers. For very little money, you can buy packets of vegetable seeds which would provide a crop while at the same time covering the ground.

I'm not from England, but in our US garden we plant beets, beans, and squash, all of which look nice and taste better. I get bush beans in multiple varieties, rather than pole beans. Squash spreads a lot and has a short season, but looks nice during the season.

Reply to
Notat Home

Maybe, if the plot gets full sun, the temperature is reasonable, the soil is reasonable and the OP is prepared to water and otherwise look after annuals. We haven't been given much information here but from the one rather vague elaboration supplied I get the feeling spending half a year looking after a vege patch isn't a priority.

The idea of spending on seeds instead of plants is good but there is too little data to guess what kind of seeds.

David Hare-Scott

Do you want one picked at random or one that might suit your situation?

If the first then you gamble on whether it will look any good or even grow at all. If the second maybe you should first tell us about your soil, climate and aspect. You seem to have missed the part where I said there is no one-size-fits-all. Let me put it slightly differently: there is no magic dust like Sam Gamgee spread around the Shire.

David Hare-Scott

You also want to consider the quality of the soil if you're going to grow edibles. I garden in a city, where vehicle exhaust has deposited a lot of lead in the soil. I had to import all the soil I use to grow vegetables or herbs in. Flowers I can put anywhere, but if it's going in my mouth, I want to be sure it hasn't sucked up toxins from the soil.

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou