Subject Author Posted Replies

What choices are there in fire resistant insulation?
Original description in tower fire thread was of polystyrene glued to plywood, now know tower to be different. Polystyrene or PIR foam sandwiched between sheets of OSB does describe Structurally...
28
28

OT: Recent Tests on High Rise cladding
If we are to believe the media, every sample of cladding (or do they mean the insulation or the cladding in combination with the insulation spaced so as to create a chimney effect?) has failed an...
17
17

[Grenfell] in the news today...
One of the buildings found to have unsafe cladding following checks prompted by the Grenfell disaster is... Burnham Tower. You couldn't make it up.
7
7

OT Grenfell tower fire. More details.
Grenfell Tower fire - Wikipedia
5
5

OT: No DSS / Housing Benefit Applicants
http://tinyurl.com/ydbhu5f4
14
14

Power drill or SDS that will run at roughly a fixed RPM
Anyone know of a power drill (mains would be OK) that can be mounted in a 43mm mounting collar and be set up to run at a fixed rate - something like 60 to 120 RPM - rather than one which slows down...
62
62

Vacuum pump oddity
I picked up a freecycled vacuum pump and motor a few years back for a round-2-it project for a vacuum bagging clamp to apply veneer to wood. I'm starting to put the system together for its first job....
3
3

Today's DIY
Cleared the drains. (Again - need to order a TV survey) Fixed the gland seal on the stopcock (packed it out with PTFE tape) Cut a bigger hole in the back of the kitchen cabinet to make access to the...
71
71

PIR insulation boards
I just had at some offcuts of the PIR insulation board that my house is full of with a blowtorch. Sadly, I didn't install it, so I don't really know what it is, other than "inadequate". It's got foil...
5
5

Why do microwaves shut off 15 seconds early?
My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the timer. What's the reason for this?
16
16

AFCI in BS7671, and also...
It came up elsewhere, so thought a quick summary of where arc fault circuit interrupters get a mention in the new 18th edition draft. In the section on prevention of fires caused by electrical...
1
1

shower door repairs
first time of doing this , so i hope i get it right , i am carrying out a repair job on a customers shower cubicle and it is a fordham bifold , the customer says that they are no longer trading so any...

Grenfell Tower charity single
Well, Elton John could hardly reissue Candle In The Wind this time, could he. Owain
4
4

Another electricity supply question
I have mentioned before that we live in a house with an ex shop attached, and both have separate electricity supplies, the ex shop using roughly 1500 units per annum, with a daily charge of 25p per...
90
90

Electricity prices and switching
Electricity is currently supplied by GB Energy, who failed, and are now part of the Co-op. Current contract expires September this year, and they are urging me to switch, claiming a saving of ?98.85...
42
42