Subject Author Posted Replies

OT trying to copy VHS tape to DVD recorder
I know there is a vast amount of expertise in this group which goes way beyond DIY so I am hoping you can help with this problem. The VHS tape contains a short piece of film that was taken at a...
19
19

Wanker Roofers
We had our roof replaced last November. Today I noticed a crack in the bathroom ceiling has widened and the PB had bulged down no water coming through though. Went up into the loft to check out the...
41
41

Kitchen electrics.
Kitchen fitter is coming to start work at 0800 tomorrow. Complete refurb. I am a little concerned about the electrical work he is going to do, and a couple of mantras he has chanted. The first one is...
16
16

Firewood moisture content
Can you estimate this with an ordinary multimeter? If so, what sort of figures would indicate a moisture level below 20%? I assume meters made for the purpose just measure resistance across a fixed...
31
31

What happened here?
Old car needed the battery charged. Plugged that in via an extension lead from an outside socket - which has an historical RCD just inside the house - from before when I fitted a modern split load CU...
10
10

Are acoustic boards worth double the price....
...if noise is not a massive issue anyway? I'm boarding over a wall, between us and neighbours, noise isn't a massive problem but I can hear them on occasion. Wondered since i'm boarding anyway would...
10
10

OT annoying tradesmen
I am of an age when I can no longer do DIY, so having, been reasonably frugal during my working life, I thought that I would be able to get tradesmen to do those jobs. It is hard enough to get anyone...
63
63

Securing insulated plasterboard to steel lintel
You need a hilti gun and some ammo. They will nail into RSJs with the correct ammo. video showing gun firing "nails" into steel. Firing bolt fixings into steel, ,Powder actuated nail gun, Piston tool,...
38
38

New Induction Hob - CU Change Needed?
New kitchen planning underway. Looks like we're going to replace a gas hob with an induction hob requiring a 32A connection back to the CU (photo here: CU is pretty old (1995 when the house was...
57
57

Ping Dave Liquorice Utility Point
Ploughing through a shedload of energy posts, I see you were taking a punt on Utility Point. Any Good? Any gotchas? Cheers, Jim
19
19

Central Heating Balancing
So maybe the overheat error occurs when all the TRVs are closed. I have always thought that a programmable thermostat was a better arrangement.
6
6

Outdoor information labels - howto suggestions?
We have a 9 acre smallholding which has some fairly spread out and not often looked at pipework, electricity supplies, etc. After a recent episode with a stop cock down a hole on which I needed to...
28
28

F Plugs
Notice in my selection of these, some appear to cater for difference sizes of the inner core insulation. And perhaps different sizes of the outer, too. Is there a way of specifying the correct ones,...
54
54

123-Reg hosting
Does anyone in the group use 123-Reg for email and if so have you been getting reports of emails sent to you bouncing with an error code "550 - domain does not exist"! TIA David
18
18

EV charger earthing
I've only just spotted that EV chargers on TN-C-S systems are now supposed to be earthed as TT systems, with their own earth rod. AFAIK this wasn't the case in 2017 when I installed my (Rolec)...
13
13