OT annoying tradesmen

I am of an age when I can no longer do DIY, so having, been reasonably frugal during my working life, I thought that I would be able to get tradesmen to do those jobs. It is hard enough to get anyone to take an interest, but what really hacks me off is those that come, suss the jobs, say they will quote then disappear into the yonder, never to be heard from again. Why don't they say straight out that the work is not for them. It is so frustrating, am I taking the wrong approach?
On 17/03/2019 11:10, Broadback wrote:

You are not alone. My Mother wants two rooms decorated and has had a few people call round to estimate/quote and then after saying they will be in touch are never to be heard of again.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 11:10:33 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I tend not to do domestic work now, but I have been in that situation before when quoting. I dont always go to look at a job. For smaller ones, I say I'm not quoting, I'll come and do it, but I wont bother quoting for anything less than £100.It just isnt worth travelling to quote for a socket or light change. Many say they want a price before going ahead, I give them an estimate over the phone, but that isnt good enough for many, so I dont get another call from them, which suits me. Other things, you get there, being polite,you dont say anything about the shithole of a house that you are being expected to work in, or the place is falling apart, and they say 'can you just do this' knowing if you touch one thing, 3 other things will need repairing. Another one is I've got a little job, which actually means floorboard up in 2 rooms, chiselling out a wall, and plastering to make good. When you tell them 6 hours to fit an extra socket, they sayits only one extra socket! The homeowner can give off some bad signals, such as asking if you can do it a bit cheaper for cash etc, I need it doing tomorrow, then tells of the tales of woe of other tradesmen who have done work before and have never come back. Those are bad signs. Little jobs, not really worthwhile unless they are close to home and can be fitted in.Some people, say I've got some work for you if you want it, go to look, and what they think is a lot, is an hours work. Sometimes I say a price there and then. Others I need to work out a price, realise I am not going to get the job at the price I will be quoting, so dont bother even letting them know. Others, you know there will be problems when you have finished and done a really good job. You get called back for the slightest thing, then realise they are trying to get a discount for the work done. One I did, all accessories were changed in the hallway for brushed brass/bronze. They had a sample switch to look at beforehand, I ordered the bits, £100ish, then got a call when they were fitted that they didnt like them as they were too dark, and could we have shiny brass. WTF can you do? They werent going to pay, so I replaced them with brass, and still have the bits sat in my garage. Get a big Company in to quote for your work. They'll quote and do the job, but you'll pay double compared to a lone trader, who can be picky as to what jobs are taken on. When subjected to the general public, you get very cynical of people, and assume everyone is out to get one over you, which isnt a good attitude, but dealing with the public drags you down, so sometimes nice people dont get the service they should have.

What about the argument that if you do a small job well, it puts you in pole position for a bigger job? I would quite like to see what somebody was like before engaging them for a major project.
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 11:47:22 +0000, Scott wrote:

A builder said that to me once. I need this job doing quickly, can you do it at a good price, if you do, I've got loads more work for you. He was a liar. It's cynical, but mostly true. I've had customers the same. It is very rare for a small job to lead to something bigger. Price rules for the vast majority of people. The last Company I worked for lost a £30k job by £1.5k to another Company. We had worked for the customer for years, always did a good job, yet that counts for nothing when you quote for a job. Personal recommendation is the best way to get people working for you.

I take your point but there may be a difference between a company with strict procurement rules to be followed and a private individual who may be more concerned about getting a good job done by someone he/she trusts. Someone who did a small job well for me would certainly be in pole position for a bigger job.

Sure but if you take that approach you will get plenty who don't bother with small jobs and plenty who show up and who don't bother to quote.

Then they can fuck off if there's a big job to be done.

Then you end up with the OP's problem, no quotes to choose from.

What's the solution then? Not to get tradesmen for small jobs? Reverse quoting- make them a high offer at maybe double market value? Get the person who recommended them to do the chasing up? Bad reviews (though I think you can usually only post a review after the work is finished)? We have a company here called Polbuilt employing only quality Polish tradesmen. Give them preferred supplier status?

There isnt one. If there was, we would have found it in the hundreds of years we have been getting work done on our houses since we stopped doing everything needed on our own house or just told the staff to fix it or were so stinking rich we didn't care about what the trades people would charge.

Don't expect many to bother with a quote if you insist on getting multiple quote before any small job.
Have enough of a clue to know what needs to be done with a small job and just ask for a rough quote that you will be happy to see not be feasible if the shit does hit the fan with the small job and when the individual you ask to do the work saying it will cost about what you expect, tell him to do the small job right away and don't fart around getting anyone else to quote.

People can and do get work done in their houses so it cannot be an impossibility.

How would one tradesman know he is not the only person being asked?

Generally this is my approach. However, I think the original question was how to get the bug**rs to turn up at all.

But they don't all get multiple quotes and choose the one they decide should be used to do the work.
so it cannot be an

No one ever said it was impossible, JUST that there isnt any 'solution'

Doesn't need to know, they are free to assume that and will most likely be correct with that assumption even if the individual asking for a quote doesn't say that it is getting other quotes in an attempt to encourage that particular tradesperson to provide a more competitive quote than they would otherwise do.

No it wasn't. And there in no 'solution' to that problem either.

[snip]

Maybe no solution but some must have found a successful approach since lots of work is carried out in domestic premises.

I phone up and ask for a quote and tradesman if 'free to assume' I might get another quote if his is too high. Are you suggesting: 'Don't bother with a quote, mate, just come round and do the work and I'll pay you whatever you ask'? If you want any work done at your place, just let me know :-)

To remind you: 'It is hard enough to get anyone to take an interest, but what really hacks me off is those that come, suss the jobs, say they will quote then disappear into the yonder, never to be heard from again.'
This is not restricted to the process of obtaining quotes.

Yes, most don't bother to get a collection of quotes.
Most don't even do that when buy a major appliance or getting one repaired either. Same with their car.

No, like I said, I think a better approach is to work out by reputation who is likely to be able to do the job properly, ask them how much they will do it for and make it clear that you wont hold them to that quote if it turns out to be much harder to do that is expected because of some detail not initially visible.
And have a reasonable idea of what the job should cost so you can work out if that reputable tradesman has got a lot more work available than he has time to do, and is happy to charge a lot more if you insist on him doing the job when he can. Although the best of the tradesmen will just say that they have too much work queued up and that they can't do it.
If you want any work done at your

That's complaining about those who say they will quote and don't.

Sure, when things are busy work wise, it can be hard to get those with a good reputation to do your job even if you trust them to not rip you off price wise.

Maybe not formally but I don't know anyone who would instruct a job without knowing how much it was likely to cost, or who would not ask around if they thought the price was too high. Maybe that's because I'm a Jock.

I suspect this depends on the socio-economic group you associate with.

Fine if you live in a village. Impractical if you live in a large city. Further, if you phone and say you want to talk about a job but don't want a quote, you are likely to be told where to gef off even more quickly. They will think you want free advice.

This assumes you know how to do the job yourself. If not, I don't see how I would know the quantity of materials, cost of materials, number of hours labour, charge-out rate etc.

I think we are all agreed on that.

There are plenty of you lot that don't bother with quotes.

No it doesn't.

No its not.

If you ring them and say you want a particular job done and don't say anything about a quote, you will find most tradesmen will in fact come and do it unless they are swamped with work.

Nope, just read what others have said they paid to get that done.

Most don't bother with any of that, just read what others have paid to say have a new power point added or to have a door changed because the old one has died etc.

Alan presented the following explanation :

We have a local and busy solo roofer, happy to do little jobs. I have had him round a few times to quote - never more than £80. He always quotes and says the quote is good if he can do it there and then, I always tell him to get on with it whilst he is here. It works well and I get the jobs done cheap and usually quickly.
On 17/03/2019 11:35, Alan wrote:

Something that is not helped by the likes of Rogue Traders etc on TV when there really should be a Rouge Customers TV show.
Mind you today's customers were brilliant.
--
Adam

On Sunday, 17 March 2019 20:06:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Anyone we know indirectly?
Owain