123-Reg hosting

Does anyone in the group use 123-Reg for email and if so have you been getting reports of emails sent to you bouncing with an error code "550 - domain does not exist"!

TIA

David

Reply to
David

Not for POP/IMAP, just to forward domains I have with them to mailboxes elsewhere

emails were arriving ok yesterday, but two tests just now have not arrived (but no bounces yet either)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for the reply. I also only use them for the same. I gather the problem is affecting many users but I'm just trying to gauge how widespread the problem is. To see bounces you'll have to use another email account totally unrelated to 123-Reg, such as a Hotmail or Gmail account.

I did contact them and they said it would take 24 to 48 hours to get the Domain Servers updated and propagated through the internet! Fortunately the domains I have with them are only for private emails, but that sort of delay must be disastrous for businesses.

Reply to
David

No mention on their status page :-(

I sent from an unrelated server.

MX records look good, tried testing SMTP by hand, but just noticed plusnet have added my static subnet to spamhaus policy block list, and I CBA to try from elsewhere right now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use them for domain hosting but MX the mail elsewhere.

My domains appear to be all theer.

if you have access to something linuxish try "dig mx yoordomain"

Or use one of the online remote dnslookup services

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have seen that... it also tends to occur on forwards to mailboxes hosted elsewhere, although it can be somewhat random and inconsistent.

Reply to
John Rumm

This error seems to crop up at random, and has nothing to do with whether the domain actually exits.

Also worth noting that the domain it is often complaining about is the

*senders* domain.

So for example I have a filter setup in TB to auto forward some messages to my colleague at an address on the same domain. That will get several messages per day - all of which will forward ok.

Then out of the blue I will get a bounce back saying that my domain does not exist. Which is "interesting" since I was sending the message to the same domain, and it obviously managed to resolve it well enough to get to the MX record in the first place!

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think reg123 does anything more than publish the DNS records, for me at least.

This can be seen using the command

nslookup -query=mx.

Looks fine for me.

From memory propagation of DNS changes is often quite quick.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

It might not be relevant but I have 5 MX records for my email domains.

I can't remember why but I think it is a fail over type thing. I don't remember ever having problems.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

I've now tried the MX records for my domain - all look OK.

Using either a Gmail or hotmail account to send a test email, the exact response I'm getting is

"550 Callout verification failed: 550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <> does not exist"

Originally I thought it was the DNS records that had been erased or corrupted, but in view of what others have said it looks like the 123-Reg server is claiming that Gmail or Hotmail don't exist.

Reply to
David

Ahh...

That is gmail sending a null sender. <> means 'you didnt specify a send address'

Now either your gmail account is bolloxed, possibly by you, or gmail itself is fsked.

Its almost certainly nothing to do with 123.

If you want me to take a look send an email to

tnp-at-shaman-dot-co-dot-uk

I think that one is active at the moment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yet I have been sending and receiving emails on both Gmail and Hotmail without any problems.

Are you sure?

Reply to
David

Of course he is. Is he right though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Pretty sure - some mailers may not be so finicky. I used to manage the largest email system in the country once...back in te dail up days

As I said send me a test email.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does seem a little odd that they use different domain addresses for some odd reason this sounds like shooting ones self in the foot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Doing an MX check for my domain via

gives the following errors

- SPF must allow Google servers to send mail on behalf of your domain.

- DKIM is not set up.

- DMARC is not set up.

- No Google mail exchangers found. Relayhost configuration?

The following are deemed OK

-Effective SPF Address Ranges.

-Domain should have at least 2 NS servers.

-Naked domain must be an A record (not CNAME).

-Every name server must reply with exactly the same TXT DKIM records.

-Every name server must reply with exactly the same TXT DMARC records.

-Every name server must reply with exactly the same CNAME records.

-Every name server must reply with exactly the same NS records.

-Every name server must reply with exactly the same MX records.

-Every name server must reply with exactly the same TXT records.

-MX lookup must fit in one UDP response packet.

Reply to
David

That is aimed at checking if your domain is properly configured for use by GApps, so the errors are not relevant.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Working again, seems the problem existed from 15th to 17th, it would be rare for me to go even one day without receiving at least one email to the 123 domain(s).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Same here - burst back into life yesterday afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues without too many hiccups!

Reply to
David