Subject Author Posted Replies

Log Cabin
Hi Just looking for suppliers of logs for log cabins. I am after a custom aged and shed companies are wanting around 3x the normal cost even though the custom size is only a few foot bigger
6
6

Much visited subject - decking treatment
Currently creating a small area of decking - nothing fancy, just to make an area nicer to put table and chairs on than coarse gravel. The sun hits that area before coming round to the back garden. So...
30
30

OT: ATTN: Rod Speed - Aussie joke
I heard this years ago, but it's still funny: Life in the Australian Army... Text of a letter from a kid from Eromanga to Mum and Dad. (For Those of you not in the know, Eromanga is a small town, west...
10
10

Curious bulb behaviour
A LED pendant light with a supermarket own brand 9W bulb is running considerably dimmer than normal. Additionally when switched off it ?fades our? over a second or so (which it never used to do). Has...
7
7

Woo Hoo 6 prizes from ERNIE
Yup, 6 separate prizes from ERNIE this month :-) . The most I have ever had is 3 x £25 in one month. All of them £25 each :-( I used to get lots of £50, the occasional £100 and even a couple of...
20
20

again totly ot
My ex-neighbour, who now lives 100 yards away died in March. He was 79, slim and wiry, being an outdoor, country person, never smoked or ate junk food. Had a heart attack without warning. I don't...
22
22

Improving worktops
A friend of mine doesn't like her fitted kitchen. She's thought of painting the units a different colour but is worried she'll then be annoyed by the worktops, which are standard chipboard with a...
15
15

Finding work for idle hands (not...)
I had almost finished chopping up some logs in the garden when I heard the ominous words, "Has that tile on the roof slipped down?" It had. A hip tile four rows down from the top was resting on the...
7
7

OT: Review of Ferguson/Imperial model
Seems a bit worrying, to me: <> Code Review of Ferguson's Model – The Daily Sceptic
52
52

paint thinner
Is there any reason petrol or diesel should not be used to thin the hammerite smooth I am painting my gate with?
13
13

OT: CO2 level for April at record level
As measured on Hawaii at the Mauna Loa observatory, the CO2 level for April was 416.21 ppm, the highest value recorded for any month since records began. ftp:// and scroll down to the bottom. Graphed...
20
20

Name of a particular paper folder or binder?
Going back 50 years, I used to use a large loose leaf book, the outer being two thick black boards, the two joined by a pair of thick straps. One outer had a key hole, the key being cranked, and...
3
3

Need some thinish, tough, slidy, plasticy stuff - 600mm-ish square
Hello guys, It's good to see several names I know still here. Anyway... a few years ago I buggered up my vinyl floor covering while attempting to slide the new washing machine across it and under the...
41
41

I'll raise TMH to the best installation of a wireless doorbell
Just fitted one at a prison so that the prisoners can ask go inside the prison if they want to.
3
3

What bicycle(?) pump is this?
I hurriedly bought a pump some years back and have never been able to use it. has an external thread so I guess something is supposed to fasten on to it. I've put a standard Schrader/Presta adapter...
15
15