Finding work for idle hands (not...)

I had almost finished chopping up some logs in the garden when I heard the ominous words, "Has that tile on the roof slipped down?"

It had. A hip tile four rows down from the top was resting on the tile below, covering it completely. We have a bungalow, but the tile was not easy to get at. With a ladder and long pole I was able to push it partially back into place. It was easy to push it back straight, but it refused to go the last 3 or 4 cm.

About to call our builder out to replace it, I suddenly thought I might be able to access the tile from the loft, and perhaps get it back into place from the inside. Cutting through two layers of roofing felt, I found the tile, and it was obvious why it wouldn't go back into place - its nib was caught on the front of the batten. I thought I could lift the tile up a bit and get it over the batten so the nib was on the correct side of it, but as the one above it was also a hip tile that one would not move at all. So I decided to pull down on the batten as it was not fixed at one end to the hip rafter. By doing that, I got the tile almost all the way over the batten, but it refused to go the last few mm. A bit more pull on the batten would do it...crack! It didn't break off, but was weakened. But I did get the tile nib over it. Although awkward to get at, I screwed a small steel reinforcing plate to hold the batten to the hip rafter and support it.

A couple of pieces of strong duct tape have repaired the roofing felt, and I hope no further slippages will occur. Of course, the loft was like an oven this afternoon, so it was hot, tiring, awkward work. I was pleased to get it done, but can't work out how this tile slipped off its batten as it was so difficult to get back into place.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Birds, squirrels etc? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I doubt it very much. My guess is a strong wind gust which just pulled on the tile in some way and loosened it just enough to slip.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It will slip again, but this time you have cut the roofing felt so you will soon know when water starts coming in. :-(

Are they not bedded in with mortar ?, or do they somehow interlock together, which seems unusual. All the hipped roofs I have seen have a special galvanised bit of L-shaped angle iron bolted to the extreme bottome of the hip, to stop the whole lot slipping down. All the hip tiles going up then rely on the immovability of the first (lowest) tile to keep them all in place, plus mortar of course.

Modern roofing systems are dry-fit, and don't use mortar apart from the angled joint at the top, nor do they seem to use an obvious support bracket at the bottom.

Reply to
Andrew

As I said, I've used decent duct tape to join it up, but you could be right. if it does drip, I have some aquaseal and some pieces of roofing felt left over from another job which can make a patch and proper seal.

Have a look at

and

The first shows the tile from the outside (photo taken from the gutter about 2.5 metres away). The top right side is cut away on the hip rafter side, but as far as I could see there was no mortar on it, and the cut away bit seemed "even" and not rough as though it had broken off. You can also just see the batten slanting down a little (I hadn't touched it when that photo was taken).

But if you look at the second photo (it's a bit dark; I tried flash but the photo was overexposed. For orientation, the top of the photo is towards the roof apex, and the bottom is towards the gutter), the slipped tile is on the left before I got its nib over the batten. It looks like there was something dark along the LH side of the tile. It's a strange colour if it is mortar, and why is the centre line so straight?

What age do you mean by "modern"? The bungalow was built about 55 years ago.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Hummm .... I would say that it was never in place properly and being held by the mortar.

Reply to
Kellerman

I hadn't thought of that. If so, I'm hoping it's a "one-off"!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Indeed,

It isn't the actual hip tiles that have slipped but one of the roof tiles that had to be cut at an angle where it underlaps the hip tiles.

It is the mortar joint between the actual hip tile and the roof tile which has an angled cut (so only held by one reamining nib, possibly) that has failed.

You might be lucky and get away with it, but realistically the whole run of hip tiles might need to be removed, cleaned up and reset in fresh mortar. Fix the damaged roofing felt and any loose or soft battens at the same time.

You say it's a bungalow. If the pitch is not too steep (those concrete tiles are generally found on lower pitched roofs), you might be able to do it yourself, maybe.

Reply to
Andrew