finding elastic

no question, just a story.

I started with 3 N95 masks, but after wearing 2 of them for several

30-minute sessions eaach, one of the rubber bands broke on each.

I tied two pieces in a square knot, and it looks like the knot will hold but now the band is over an inch shorter and I'm sure it will break again.

I had to go to the doctor for hand surgery on Monday and found that even with only one rubber band, the mask felt 98% the same as with two bands.

But still, I plan to replace the elastic.

Found what I wanted Monday night on the Jo-Anne's website.

By Tuesday they were sold out. Apprarently there is an elastic shortage because of everyone making masks!

More than one person had written to a sewing site toask if you can cut the elastic lengthwise (since they can find wide stuff for sale). Answer was it would fray. That's better than I thought. I thought it would fall apart.

Reply to
micky

Here's an answer.

Walmart has exercise bands, long pieces of flat elastic. (don't get the tubes.)

They are about $10 for a three pack, about 8 inches wide and maybe 6 feet long, flat thin elastic in three thicknesses. I'm going from memory, I bought them years ago for making slingshots.

You can cut them with a scissors if you put masking tape on first, but if you really want to do a good job use a rotary cutter and mat.

Reply to
TimR

They may not be comfortable but they won't break...

Reply to
rbowman

Good choice.

a more practical one though is the file band, a large thin rubber band made for holding file folders shut. they are 7 inches long, 1/8 inch in diameter, seem perfect for masks.

Reply to
TimR

Great. I ordered 6, enough for 3 masks.

I can take it.

Reply to
micky

Masks and hearing aids don't get along well. I had to go out yesterday to a store - had to wear a mask. When I got home I was missing a hearing aid. Ends up I knocked it out/off taking off the mask. Thankfully it "talks to" my I-Phone. When I went back hours later it lit up the iphone when I pulled into the parking lot and there it was - incredibly NOT crushed or damaged - right where I knocked it off when I removed the mask - - - - Saved a couple thousand!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's been more than a few years since you could get a 3 pack for $10.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

There's usually a few lying on the side of the road - AKA Tarp Straps

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Or pin it to your ears with safety pins - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's great. It pays to look.

Reply to
micky

I wonder how many of the S hooks wind up embedded in someone's tire?

Reply to
rbowman

I knew those piercings must be good for something.

Reply to
rbowman

Everybody who needs an elastic can get an elastic.

Reply to
trader_4

[snip]

Would it help to get in your car before taking the mask off?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Wouldn't it be simpler to take the mask off IN THE CAR?

Reply to
Sam E

I used this, works great

Larry Fritz

In all my years working as a mechanic I found all kinds of things in tires - but never an tarp-strap "s" hook. Screwdrivers, a wrench, a dart, a 3 inch long 1/2" bolt - and inside a fully inflated tire - a full bottle of beer - just for starters.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Lost the same hearing aid IN thetruck a few years ago.we were tearing the roof off the shed. Didn't know if it was in the trailer, on the lawn, or in the truck. I knew it was to the east side of the house by the signal strength. Frcided the only way to know where it was was to take the truck for a drive. A block from home I was still getting a good signal. Ends up I had knocked it out when I tuened my head to open the cab slider window and it dropped down behind/between the seats. Found it in the seat track - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Walmart is out too, and even if the other chain in Baltimore has it now, I've sort of lost interest.

I'm going to wait until they open the new elastic mines in Zimbabwe and start to import elastic from there.

Until then, if necessary I'll just use thread of a fixed length and rely on my new bouffant hairstyle to apply the backward pressure on the threads and mask.

Reply to
micky