Subject Author Posted Replies

Can one use this type of towel rail on electricity only?
Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from Toolstation:- one use them with electric heating only? We want to install one in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby. Is...
7
7

FCU to fit in existing double box - possible?
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things...
17
17

(OT-ish) Travis Perkins? Timber stock.
Having been prompted to update my login details, I had a look for some timber. Looking for some 2x2 for a little project. [Raising the bed a couple of inches) No stock in the 3m or 3.6m lengths, and I...

Amazon.
First, I'm not a fan. Generally check Ebay long before them. And I've just been proved right. Got some software which recommended hardware to go with it. And a link for it to Amazon UK. Ordered it up....
55
55

pipe for future elecs and net in trench?
I've dug a drainage trench for a rainwater pipe. Before I fill it could I insert a pipe or two to take mains electricity and ethernet in the future? What sort of pipes should I use, perhaps with...
7
7

It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)
Off topic, but a bit of light relief FIFTY YEARS AGO Can you remember what you were doing exactly fifty years ago yesterday? (That's assuming you were born.) On the morning of February 16th 1972 I was...
106
106

OT: synchronous condensers
bit of technology I had not come across before (although apparently they used to be found at some sub-stations back in the 60's to 70's). As the amount of renewable generation increases, new sources...
22
22

Noise at flue
I have a Worcester Bosch Danesmoor 15/19 boiler, it’s been recently serviced but the flue noise seems to be buffering, no lockouts etc . Any ideas?

Single push button wc cistern lid removal...
That's brilliant Dave, thanks. I've just spent a good hour trying to find the answer and getting directed to dual buttons. Your advice makes sense, but I had to use a the wee sucker on the end of my...
3
3

Anti-Frost Precautions in Loft
I had a pipe burst in a loft and am pondering the best solution to prevent this in future. All pipes were already lagged, there is no CH in property (electric only heating) and the electric HW boiler...
9
9

Oil boiler r8uns but only occasionally fires
Boiler: Camray 5 circa 2001, oil, non condensing Symptoms: It seems to be on, and yet it hasn't fired. Sometimes after tens of minutes it does, and then works fine. The flameout/lockout *doesn't* come...
18
18

UPVC window with misted up glazing panels & worn hinge
I have a bathroom UPVC window that has a worn bottom hinge and two misted up DG glazing units. How do I measure up the glazing units so that I can get replacement glazing units? How do I get the...
9
9

Drayton TRV4 sensor head & valve life expectancy
I've got about 18 radiators with Drayton TRV4 valves. I'm not sure how old they are as I can't see any date stamps, but I suspect they're about 20 years old. I'm finding that many of the TRVs shut off...
14
14

Re: DIY surgery ...
Mmm a promising start...

Ballast running a UV germicidal tube...
Is there anything different about running a UV germicidal tube than a normal fluorescent tube? A vendor is advising that electronic ballasts are more sensitive somehow & therefore unsuitable as a...
5
5