Ballast running a UV germicidal tube...

That sounds like a load of bollards to me. The basic specs from the starting and running are the same, indeed if they were not they just would make different ones for them and they don't. Of course depending on the output frequencies it could affect any material the unit was made from or coated in but otherwise.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quartz glass, but otherwise yes.

BigClive: "Good UV versus bad UV. All available on eBay."

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Quite. If the ballasts were different, it would say so in the spec.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is there anything different about running a UV germicidal tube than a normal fluorescent tube?

A vendor is advising that electronic ballasts are more sensitive somehow & therefore unsuitable as a replacement for an old ballast & separate starter setup...

TIA

Reply to
Jim K..

I tend to agree Brian. I know little about the the technicalities of these things but shurely the internal discharge "arc" is the same as a lighting tube, but the inside of the lighting tube is coated in phosphor to fluorescence? rather than the UV tube being plain glass to "let it all out"?

Reply to
Jim K..

Interesting thanks. I note big Clive used the exact same fluorescent batten fitting to demonstrate all 3 tubes including a UVC tube!

Reply to
Jim K..