FCU to fit in existing double box - possible?

I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things somewhat.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think the best you can do is to use a double modular plate fitted with a switch and a fuse module plus a couple of blanking pieces to cover the remaining gaps. The only issue will be that as far as I know the switches are only single pole unlike in an FCU where they are double pole. any way see what is available below.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

MK Grid Switch range?

Steve Walker

Screwfix also stock the MK Grid Switch range - which includes fuseholders and double-pole switches.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, I wondered if modular components would do what I need. However it becomes a bit pointless unless I can fit an FCU in some shape or form.

Reply to
Chris Green

MK Grid Plus has what I need, i.e. a fuse and a cable outlet. Do the frames and covers fit in standard boxes? If so I guess I need a 3-way cover plate, a fuse, a cable outlet and a blanking plate (assuming a

3-way cover and grid frame fit in a standard double box).

Does that sound right?

Reply to
Chris Green

Scolmore/CLICK

CMA432 MD017WH MD018WH MD047WH

Or something like that. I have not had chance to double check they are the correct part numbers.

Reply to
ARW

as others have said you can cope with that with a grid system but IIRC not with the IP rating you were previously seeking.

Reply to
Robin

Make it up out of grid components. A three gang one with a blank in one of them (or a neon). Will cost more, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes, this would seem to be the best solution.

Reply to
Chris Green

No mention of an FCU module in that link and some of the inserts say "requires a 25mm backbox".

Reply to
Andrew

As Adam indicated, you buy separate modules for fuse, cord outlet and switch. All available in the MK range.

I can't recall meeting a /socket/ back box less than 25mm.

Reply to
Robin

They do a fuseholder and a flex outlet as individual modules - as well as double pole switch and neon modules if you ever need those.

However, there is another option, you could use a normal FCU and a two gang to one gang adapter plate.

That was the first one that I found. I am sure that there are others and some may be cheaper.

Alternatively, for a better look, how about a flat, metal, blanking plate, that you can cut a hole in, paint the colour of the wall and screw an FCU to?

Steve Walker

Lots of others do grid switches too. The trick will be to get it to match other wiring accessories in the room. If that matters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Nothing to match, it's a toilet cubicle.

Reply to
Chris Green

Is this to do with the towel rail? Is it a toilet cubicle or a bathroom? If it has just a toilet and washbasin and no bath or shower, you can use what you want - even a plug and 2-gang socket which would give you switching, disconnection and fusing.

Reply to
Steve Walker

There's not even a washbasin, as I said that's just outside.

Yes, I know that as regards wiring regulations, I can do just about whatever I like but I'd to make things 'bathroom level' as regards safety. The double box is quite low down and close to the bowl so I think it would not be a good idea to have 'user accessible' sockets or switches there. An unswitched FCU and a cable outlet feels OK.

Reply to
Chris Green

Your decision, but you are not going to have any people barefooted, with wet feet and hands in a toilet cubicle and they are not going to be plugging and unplugging it anyway. The risks are far, far lower than a kitchen - where you do have sockets, people are plugging things in and out, they they may have wet hands (and even be stood barefoot on a damp floor if they've been careless at the sink) and they may even drop an electrical item in the sink! We don't however (generally) put appliances on FCUs there, we just plug them in.

Even in a bathroom, you are permitted sockets - as long as they are at least 3m away from the bath or shower.

As you want to re-use a double box, then a plug and double socket is the easiest way, with Grid units being another option.

Reply to
Steve Walker