Subject Author Posted Replies

OK - how do fix this wooden frame?
gE (That's 4 pictures of my wooden window frames, with aluminium windows fitted). The first picture is the worst - 1/4" gaps between the woodent sections, but the wood is fairly hard around the gap -...
32
32

Problem with old-syle oil-imersed arc welder
Hi all, I think the arc welder I have may be faulty. It's an old Olympic one from t he early 80s and looks indistinguishable from an Oxford of the same vintage and amperage. This thing can run off 3...
35
35

OT: Rant about PC World "cashback"
Bought an HP printer from PCWorld, online. Has a £40 cashback offer (claimable from HP). No invoice sent by PCW. Email pingpong with HP, leading to ploughing through endless menus on PC Wo rld phone...
31
31

Tumble dryer
After 5 years I finally made the temporary position of the tumble dryer in the garage permanent. When I looked underneath it I discovered that there are vents. The vents were blocked solid with fluff....
18
18

Scrap price vs useable price for I beams
We were just about to scrap a couple of length of I beam - came out of the house during the rebuild. Builders are in next door, and saw it going into the trailer and the boss of the firm expressed an...
6
6

IP Camera, time stamp oddity
The camera is able to FTP upload its photos, when triggered, to a folder on one of my websites and has a built in clock, which it is able to sync with a time server. Power it down and it looses its...
7
7

Homebase Ireland hits skids
Not made a profit for years, apparently... Retailer considering shutting three stores as it goes into examinership
5
5

Screwing into the side of MDF or chipboard - loft door
I had decided to go with block board for the loft door because that is what the current (too small) door is made of and the blocks are good to screw into end on. However block board seems about as...
9
9

Farm track/ footpath/unadopted.
and how is the Parish Council going to pay for these "pushed down" services?
63
63

When is a garage not?
I'm thinking of moving (or more likely demolishing and rebuilding) my current detached garage so it could be linked to the house through a small rear extension. But the space available means that the...
62
62

OT: setting up Microsoft Office 365
There's a wealth of knowledge in here so does anyone know anything about setting up Microsoft Office 365? The O365 side has been set up from a previous domain registrar's system but we've just moved...
33
33

OT: kids in a dinghy in the sea safety question
Let's say you're thinking of buying an inflatable dinghy to put 2 young kids in the sea at the beach. What would be your recommended safety equipment? I'm thinking 2 lifejackets and a rope to tie to...
44
44

costs for man and van
actually van and two men. what do you pay? The hourly quote that I've just got is a lot more than when I moved in. I'm only going 15 miles, so the running costs of the van will be minimal, but I know...
23
23

Source of used oil drums?
I am about to try and make an incinerator from an old oil drum. All I need is an old oil drum :-) eBay and Gumtree don't show any in the local area - loads for around £10 but local collection only....
6
6

OT:Quadcopter cameras
I vague recall they were mentioned here a while ago. For some reason Amazon has just flashed an example of one to me (people who bought this also bought ....) which kind got me thinking ... are these...
4
4