When is a garage not?

I'm thinking of moving (or more likely demolishing and rebuilding) my current detached garage so it could be linked to the house through a small rear extension. But the space available means that the new garage could only be a maximum of 2.25m wide externally: too small, surely, to house a car with any practicality.
However, I don't use the existing garage for a car, and wouldn't use the new one for that either. The current garage is insulated and lined and used as a workshop and I would do the same with the new one.
Though I don't need access for a car it would be handy to have a largish door from the drive to the new garage for moving sizeable items in an out - the current garage still has its double doors, with removable lining panels inside.
If I just build a single front door say 1.5m wide, will the building still be regarded as a garage? The floor will be well below the house floor level, there will be a fire-resistant internal connecting door and so on, but would the garage be classed as habitable and part of the extension? And would it actually make all that much difference if it was? Is there actually a statutary requirement to have a garage?
I've looked for the answer to this online and not turned up anything that seems relevant. But if it is out there somewhere I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction. Many thanks.
On 16/07/2013 09:21, Bert Coules wrote:

Buy a motorbike. Plenty big enough for one of those. A scrapper bought for a few quid would give the ability to demonstate the "continued" use as a garage to house a motor vehicle. (Should you need to prove the point).
Al.
Alan (BigAl) wrote:

Thanks for that - I used to ride bikes a good deal (Vespas and other scooters mainly) - pleasing times, except when it rained.

But is it likely that I ever would need to? Perhaps I should do the official thing and simply ask my local Buildings Inspector.
On 16/07/2013 09:21, Bert Coules wrote:

I'm sure it would house a car. Getting in or out of it might be more of a problem.

Why not just get planning permission for a workshop from the start?

I would think that a garage is defined by the ability to accept a car. The narrowest garage door I can find is 6ft 6in (1.98m) wide and my car wouldn't fit through that with the door mirrors extended.

Not that I am aware of, but if your house is the only one in the street without a garage, it might affect the value of the house. Can you, as a friend has done, put a door in the back wall of the existing garage, to give access to the workshop?
Colin Bignell
"Nightjar" wrote:

I'm reluctant to involve extra procedures and expense if they're not necessary.

It wouldn't be.

That's not a factor that concerns me, really.

Ah, I already have. But I would prefer direct access from the house.
Thanks for your reply.
Jim K wrote:

Thanks for that link. I had in fact already looked at that site: it's quite informative for general matters but doesn't seem to answer my specific circumstances.
I don't think that planning permission wil be needed but there will be building reg requirements to be met.
On 16/07/13 11:21, Bert Coules wrote:

I think there will be planning permission needed. Anyway, ask the planning officer. Planning wouldn't get refused. And builidng control is probably necessary as you say, and indeed the BCO is often your friend, if you want a decent structure erected and not a tacky rickety shoddy affair using whatever the builder had to hand.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Doesn't it depend on the height - up to 6 ft to the eaves and no PP. I don't think there's any difference between a garage not attached to a house and a shed. If it is attached and with an opening door there may be some fire regs to consider.
--
bert

"bert" wrote:

I'm not sure about that yet, but I believe you're certainly right about the fire regs, especially concerning the connecting door from the garage/workshop to the house.
On 16/07/13 10:34, Jim K wrote:

I think you do for any substantial erection within 3 meters of your boundary.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
On Tuesday 16 July 2013 12:20 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not necessarily: Permitted development - that's covered fairly well on the planningportal.

Your joking, so i need to get planning permission every time i shag the missus in the garden?

The prefix 'substantial' gets you off the hook.
mark
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:21:56 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

By whom?
By planning officers & building control? Ask the council. By potential house purchasers? Ask an estate agent. By you?
"Adrian" wrote:

I shall, but it would obviously be valuable first to have some knowledge of what their reply might be, hence my query here. Isn't informed discussion of such matters one of the reasons why this group exists?
On 16/07/2013 10:05, Bert Coules wrote:

Demolish a garage /build a garage I dont see as an issue but the connecting extension would surely require some sort of planning permission as it will be an addition to the property. As others have said best check with the proper authorities.
"ss" wrote:

Not planning permission specifically if I understand things correctly, but there are building regulation requirements that will have to be met.
On 16/07/2013 11:24, Bert Coules wrote:

My guess would be the garage itself could be permitted development from a PP point of view. However connecting it to the house would bring it under building regs requirements.
--
Cheers,

John.

Extensions below a certain area do not require PP IIRC
--
bert