Subject Author Posted Replies

Old 45A and new 40A MCB's get hot
Hi, We've got an old style consumer unit, which had a 45A MCB for the electric shower in it when we moved in a few years ago. I've never tried touching the MCB or the CU after using the shower, so...
6
6

Coin battery
Needed a new CR2025 battery for a remote. EBay 99p delivered for 2 Duracell. Currys £4. Maplins £4 EACH (and a brand I'd never heard of). 99p less 61p postage makes them 19p each. Proper retail...
68
68

LED wand light - dead batteries
I have a cheapo Lidl wand light which no longer works - I assume dead batteries. So I have a working wall wart, a 12v car adapter, and quite possibly a working LED array. Just not a fully functioning...
2
2

Raeburn to replace boiler/hob/oven
The wife hates our current oil boiler, as it blocks access to a significant amount of cupboard space, and is annoyed that our fan oven has nowhere to warm plates. All would be great, goes the...
70
70

VARTA Mempac 3/V150H Rechargeable Battery for Potterton EP2000 controller
As per the title, I've been shopping around t' internet for pricing and availability of a replacement 3 cell 100mA NiCd battery (no solder tags required). The best VAT inclusive price I've seen so far...
15
15

Recommendation for Domestic Consumer Unit
Currently just need 6 ways, though would like 2 or 3 spare for future expansion. 100A incomer. Would prefer to go with RCBOs for better fault discrimination. Also easy to get, so perhaps Screwfix or...
34
34

Double-glazing
I know that double-glazing sales techniques are the stuff of legend, but I've actually experienced it first-hand now. It's astounding, just astounding. I'm sure you know the stories and don't need to...
13
13

Dead Bosch PSE180e scraper
This died recently (totally dead) and it would be politic to get it going again. The fuse, cable and brushes are OK so I suspect the speed control circuit has died, but there are no signs of distress....
7
7

Pilot flame failure , new boiler?
Reality check, know less than nothing about central heating. 14 year old Gloworm combi ,hot water and heating fail to do anything. Installer and maintainer of last few years now retired. New plumber...
6
6

New Shed
Am in the planning stage of a new 14'x14' shed, and have a few questions. What depth of hardcore to use under the 4" slab? How can I get rid of the tree stump in the way? Bear in mind I'm notoriously...
13
13

Fridge Freezers - makes?
Any of these worth avoiding? Liebherr Candy Smeg I have to help someone choose a new FF - and sadly it's integrated and with all the limitations (60/40 spilt, 545mm or less appliance width, door...
37
37

Ping Jethro: dehumidifiers
You there Jethro? Buying a dehumidifier is a regular topic in this group, and you raised it in 2013 ... reporting back on 9/12/13: I just wondered if you had anything to add, now that you're nine...
12
12

Re: (OT) Home networking problem
In message , News writes Have you been to Advanced sharing options and set Permissions to everyone and ticked Full Control?
4
4

Modernising old electrics fire with lights and not heating
These are the electric fires and there is no way I am going to give then a 230V feed without some remedial work. Some sort of orange lighting is needed to replace the heating elements (no heat is...
25
25

Repainting Georgian-style windows
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's...
18
18