Subject Author Posted Replies

Well informed shop assistants
Yesterday I went to a village store, in an area that I don't normally shop, to buy some cleaning products for my parents kitchen. I was looking for something along the lines of Viakal, which they...
9
9

Screwfix predictions - Payleven Chip & Pin
The Screwfix daily deals seem to be, erm, less daily than they used to be, and not showing up on the UKDIY Screwfix Predictor :-( However Thursday appears to be Super Fresco wallpaper Friday appears...
2
2

New Bullshit - Flowsave. Get one now
Biggest piece of bullshite I've seen since magnetic water softeners - oh, you can buy one of them from the same stockists. What a surprise. http://www.guardian-solutions.net/content/flowsave
29
29

central heating - radiator weights
Is ~180 kg of steel rad. (without water) ok to hang on a single brick wall which itself sits on top of a double glazed uPVC bay window? (It's 4 small rads in fact).
7
7

Central heating water query
Daughter's house - I'm not sure that the radiator in the spare bedroom has ever been fitted since the a***e of a partner she was living with then inst alled the CH system. One bit of good judgement is...
8
8

washing machines (was: Hair dryers, smartphones and kettles on EU Hit List)
Yes, there was some stuff in _Which?_ to that effect in the past year or so. (I think I was involved in a discussion here about it.) They also found that most "60°C" programmes don't actually hit...

Safestyle?
We need a new front door, a local guy who will do a half decent job has quoted me £650 for a composite including the window above. Another well respected local company did a double door on the back a...
10
10

Silver box
Any ideas what the silver box does and does it go with the cables? Photobucket
8
8

Dual Source Electricity!
Many servers have two power supplies. You have several options about how to use them but one I have seen quite often is to plug one directly into the mains and the other into a UPS. Advantages include...
34
34

Outer insulation/harling lip
Why is the lip on people's outer foam insulation covered with harling curved out (left diagram) instead of down (right diagram)? I would have thought the one on the right would drip the water off...
3
3

not-Hot Air Gun
I have a Dewalt DW340K hot air gun that has just decided to blow only warm air whatever the position of the variable temperature setting control. For that reason I don't think the element has failed -...
7
7

OT build your own Aldi (for train sets)
yes great news for those that like train sets, you can now have your own model Aldi. Faller - 130339 - Faller 130339 H0 Aldi Supermarket -

With discount supermarkets a familiar sight in...

4
4

Biscuit jointer for DIY use
Any recommendations for a reasonably good DIY biscuit jointer? I wouldn't have asked but, surprisingly, even looking back over the last year I cannot find a uk.d-i-y post with the word "biscuit" in...
17
17

Bose acoustimass 5 Ser 2 - rattling bass module?
Inherited a Bose am5 Ser2. Seems fine until I crank it up, then the bass module starts to protest with a resonate rattly noise on deep bass notes, however if I lay it on its side and lean on it/ put a...
9
9

First router
Am looking to buy a router for the first time. One with a 1/2" collet would be nice but they seem to be much too costly. Better options to start with seem to be ?67 ?83 I have seen a positive video...
6
6