Do you English...

Do you english still install timber windows in the outside leaf ? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park

So, what wrong with the Scots, Welsh and Irish, that you don't want to know about them?

Reply to
Nightjar

because due to the wet climate the Scots have never done it ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park

You mean they use cast iron ones? Or just have a hole in the wall? We all know that windows are for soft southerners.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Generally Scottish crofts have solid walls, so all their windows are in the outer leaf, as there is no other.

Reply to
Nightjar

"Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park ..." wrote in message news:mil777$u91$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Yes but only in posh houses.

Most windows now are uPVC. New and replacement. And doors.

Reply to
harryagain

Can we say "bollocks" children ?

Reply to
soup

No, only install PVC or aluminium windows.

Reply to
Capitol

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

very often on quality houses. Almost never on cheap ones

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No we install glass windows in the outer leaf, mostly sealed unit double glazing in uPVC or aluminium frames but sometimes in wooden frames (usually where it is a condition of planning consent)

Ash Burton

I haven't seen a wooden window in years. We normally use glass.

Is there some window tax or other reasons why you would fit wood to an opening, or do you live in a poor region?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Umm, every single window and door in this house, including the four brand new ones I've fitted to an outbuilding this year, are wooden. They were more expensive than tupperware, too.

Going back to the original question - none of the walls are cavity, though, so I can't comment about which leaf they're fitted to here, but they are all fitted flushish with the outside rather than the inside, as is normal, so if they were cavity they would be in the outside leaf.

Reply to
Adrian

Normally they go in the inner leaf for fire safety reasons

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do they?! How does that help fire safety?

My house was built in the 1960's with cavity walls and wooden window frames in the outer leaf. All the original (single glazed) windows have been replaced with double glazed units in thermal break aluminium frames

- again fitted in the outer leaf, set back about 40mm from the face of the brickwork. This then only requires a fairly narrow cill on the outside but provides a decent cill on the inside which is wide enough to accommodate flower pots, etc. (or other miscellaneous junk!)

Reply to
Roger Mills

He's talking drivel. Windows are to keep the weather out, as is the outer leaf. Hence the window has to be linked/continuous with to the outer leaf.

Plastic windows are a fire hazard. The plastic gives off highly toxic fumes in a fire.

Reply to
harryagain

Flames licking up the outside take longer to ignite the frame, retarding fire spread. Inner leaf windows have been standard for this reason for a very long time. Outer leaf windows tend to be found on very old houses that predate this.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most fires are internal, where there's combustible material. You would have thought a window on an external leaf would be better?

I haven't seen a house with a window on the inner leaf for a long time. They generally have wide inner sills and adorn ornaments and the like.

Are you sure you're talking of the UK?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Are all of your window frames wooden or Crittal steel then?

Reply to
Bod

from where they spread to being external, and set other houses alight. Its not as big an issue these days with a fire service.

Most houses have recessed windows. Maybe I'm wrong about how they're fixed though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr