OT End of the world is night

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/576300/Asteroid-1999-FN53-Earth-May-14-mass-extinction-NASA Keeps the proles amused.
If it actually were nigh, it would be secret. So the politicians could hide in their nuclear bunkers without mass riots.
I just read this didn't I? Anyway, how long is there before they will know for sure? Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"harryagain" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
On 11/05/2015 08:21, Brian-Gaff wrote:

If the Express predicts it, it ain't going to happen. If all their predictions came true then all illnesses would have a cure and we would have either been drowned or baked to a frazzle by the weather!
On Mon, 11 May 2015 08:21:29 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"

A lot of Harry's recent posts have appeared twice.
--

Chris

On 11/05/2015 08:33, Chris Hogg wrote:

As have Tough Guy's.

Well he thinks he is some sort of Messiah for the future of energy use so he is getting his 2nd coming in straight away.
G.Harman
On 11/05/15 10:16, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Blimey. At my age even a first coming would be a start..

The Natural Philosopher scribbled

Is that the cause of all your angst? Are you paying the penalty for too much *DIY*, nudge, nudge. Wink wink. Say no more.
--
Eric

On Mon, 11 May 2015 10:16:47 +0100, damduck-egg wrote:

What, as in *before* the world ends?
--
Johnny B Good

harryagain wrote:

If it is night I will be asleep.
On Mon, 11 May 2015 07:48:00 +0100, harryagain wrote:

Naw the info is publicly and automatically available. This object is not considered to be one of the 1578 known Potentailly Hazardous Asteroids anyway. To be a PHA it has to get closer than .05 AU (5 million miles ish).
1999 FN53 only gets to 0.06776 AU on May 14th. 6.6 million miles away ish. It gets a bit closer in 2134 and 2150 at 0.059 AU. What ever it's still missing by about 25 times the Lunar Distance (LD).
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr99%20FN53
The 52 m 2015 HB177 that also passes by on May 14 at 12.4 LD and *is* a PHA.
Only two other PHAs get a bit close up to Jul 25
2015 JD May 10 3.6 LD 36 m 2015 HM10 Jul 7 1.4 LD 65 m
http://www.spaceweather.com/
Note the 2015 all three of those have been spotted this year and we fairly often don't spot them until *after* closest approach.
Anyway there is SFA we can do to prevent an impact so why worry about it?
--
Cheers
Dave.
"Dave Liquorice" < snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com> wrote in message
On 11/05/2015 07:48, harryagain wrote:

What do you expect from the Depress? How often do they announce TEOTW?

Goldstone has been tracking it for ages. It isn't called 1999-FN53 for nothing. It will get close but it remains frustratingly dim unless the magnitude predictions are wildly out you need an 18" scope and CCD.
http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/1999FN53/1999FN53_planning.html#Goldstone
Magnitude presictions are always a bit hit and miss. Comets are all too often declared "Comet of the century" but turn out to be damp squibs.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

What nuclear bunkers might they be then, they have all been decommissioned/ filled in/ or turned into museums.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Mon, 11 May 2015 19:14:00 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

mass

The old ones we know about have but not the new ones we don't know about...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 11/05/2015 19:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The other ones that they haven't told us about :-)
--
Colin Bignell