OT End of the world is night

Keeps the proles amused.

If it actually were nigh, it would be secret. So the politicians could hide in their nuclear bunkers without mass riots.

Reply to
harryagain

I just read this didn't I? Anyway, how long is there before they will know for sure? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

If the Express predicts it, it ain't going to happen. If all their predictions came true then all illnesses would have a cure and we would have either been drowned or baked to a frazzle by the weather!

Reply to
Broadback

A lot of Harry's recent posts have appeared twice.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

As have Tough Guy's.

Reply to
Bod

If it is night I will be asleep.

Reply to
F Murtz

Well he thinks he is some sort of Messiah for the future of energy use so he is getting his 2nd coming in straight away.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Blimey. At my age even a first coming would be a start..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Naw the info is publicly and automatically available. This object is not considered to be one of the 1578 known Potentailly Hazardous Asteroids anyway. To be a PHA it has to get closer than .05 AU (5 million miles ish).

1999 FN53 only gets to 0.06776 AU on May 14th. 6.6 million miles away ish. It gets a bit closer in 2134 and 2150 at 0.059 AU. What ever it's still missing by about 25 times the Lunar Distance (LD).

The 52 m 2015 HB177 that also passes by on May 14 at 12.4 LD and *is* a PHA.

Only two other PHAs get a bit close up to Jul 25

2015 JD May 10 3.6 LD 36 m 2015 HM10 Jul 7 1.4 LD 65 m

Note the 2015 all three of those have been spotted this year and we fairly often don't spot them until *after* closest approach.

Anyway there is SFA we can do to prevent an impact so why worry about it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Natural Philosopher scribbled

Is that the cause of all your angst? Are you paying the penalty for too much *DIY*, nudge, nudge. Wink wink. Say no more.

Reply to
Eric Idle

Night he said though, not nigh. However, there have been several lately that have crossed within the moons orbit. All fairly small, well that is unless you were very close to an event as we saw in Russia of course. The problem with these close ones is that they are affected by the earth and moons gravity as they come near, and that means the orbits need to be recalculated each time. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

What do you expect from the Depress? How often do they announce TEOTW?

Goldstone has been tracking it for ages. It isn't called 1999-FN53 for nothing. It will get close but it remains frustratingly dim unless the magnitude predictions are wildly out you need an 18" scope and CCD.

Magnitude presictions are always a bit hit and miss. Comets are all too often declared "Comet of the century" but turn out to be damp squibs.

Reply to
Martin Brown

on 11/05/2015, harryagain supposed :

What nuclear bunkers might they be then, they have all been decommissioned/ filled in/ or turned into museums.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The old ones we know about have but not the new ones we don't know about...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The other ones that they haven't told us about :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

What, as in *before* the world ends?

Reply to