The end is nigh

But a new beginning could be happening soon! What's Mike ranting on about you may ask? Well we have decided to sell up and move. The house is on the market but we haven't anywhere else in particular in mind at present, if it sells quick (which is unlikely) we will rent for a while and hopefully pick up a bargain as cash buyers.

Two reasons for this posting. Firstly, one option we are thinking of is buying a plot and building our own home on it so we are looking for advice. Has anyone here done this in the recent past? If so any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I have found a few self build websites but if you know of any good ones please let me know.

Secondly, in the unlikely event that someone here is looking to move to a lovely little town on the edge of the Yorkshire dales or knows some one who is. If so take a look at

Muddymike

yes I have. Well sort of. I 3as going to refurbish the old house, but when we took the crowbars to it there wasn't anything worth refurbishing so it became a new build.

I could write a book about it, but not here and not now.

Looks lovely. Can't imagine I'd want to leave, frankly..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

> Mike

I can find 25k just looking under pot plants etc, the problem is the other

600 ;)
Reply to
brass monkey

Mike,

Take a look at the Yahoo group UK snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.co.uk .

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I thought everyone was going to France? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tempting for the duration of the oilypimpleics.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mike,

Thanks for the tip Bert, I will sign up.

Tony and TNP. Its not that we want to leave nor have too, its just that the place is now too big for us. There was four of us when we bought it some 8 years ago, now there only two. Also the gardens are very high maintenance, I enjoy doing it but would be happier not having to do it every weekend!

We won't be moving far, probably still within 10 miles of Leyburn, as we do love the area. Also we are in no rush and accept it will probably take a couple of years to sell.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Seconded. Just what we're looking for...

... except if it was in commuting range of my work it wouldn't be that price.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And no photo of air raid shelter?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Looks lovely - if I could afford it... Spent a week in Leyburn some years ago and really liked cycling between Yoredale and Swaledale over the steep passes.

Reply to
PeterC

Most certainly not, they are hateful things.

Take a look at;

shows the steps leading down into the shelter, I don't seem to have on of the interior.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Wasn't sure if it was saniflo or boxing in.

Mmmmm.

Looks more like a proper bunker than an Anderson.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Indeed, this is no Anderson shelter. It's a semi subterranean 7 feet square room, built of engineering brick, and mounded over with soil.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

> > > Is that a saniflo in t' bathroom? ;-)

Get the estate agents to describe it at a sex dungeon...........

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I were a lad plenty of private houses (and blocks of flats) still had the old air-raid shelters in the gardens. Mostly they were used for junk storage but some had turned them into ace garden sheds and hobby rooms.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That was in Glasgow. Mind you, Dublin got bombed by 'mistake' so I suppose some air-raid shelters existed here, too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"Navigation error, so sorry", according to Berlin.

Google it.

FFS, their target, Belfast, was thoroughly blacked out and they knew that. Dublin wasn't. It stinks of a deliberate action to me - giving DeValera a small taste of what would be in wait for Ireland if neutrality wasn't adhered to.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

She probably never heard of it during the war; the Irish press was heavily censored. It's common knowledge here, now. It's the kind of thing that couldn't have been kept secret for long though - plenty of people did know about it, just not the country as a whole, and the ferry back and forth would have carried news of it to the UK. All word of mouth though, and it likely got dismissed as rumour in some quarters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Late to this thread I know but a friend from the Republic who wasn't born till the late 1960's and not really a particularly strong holder of extreme nationalist views held a very strong belief passed down from his family that the bombing of Dublin was done by the RAF on the orders of Winston Churchill. Despite Germany accepting responsibility arguing with him was like convincing an unyielding member of the flat earth society that the world is round. Churchill did later suggest that jamming the Luftwaffes direction finding transmissions may have lead to the Bombers going to Eire instead of Belfast and he was a ruthless enough person not to worry too much about it happening whether by accident or as a conceivable consequence,but to send the RAF itself may have been a little too obvious.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg