The end is nigh

But a new beginning could be happening soon! What's Mike ranting on about you may ask? Well we have decided to sell up and move. The house is on the market but we haven't anywhere else in particular in mind at present, if it sells quick (which is unlikely) we will rent for a while and hopefully pick up a bargain as cash buyers.
Two reasons for this posting. Firstly, one option we are thinking of is buying a plot and building our own home on it so we are looking for advice. Has anyone here done this in the recent past? If so any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I have found a few self build websites but if you know of any good ones please let me know.
Secondly, in the unlikely event that someone here is looking to move to a lovely little town on the edge of the Yorkshire dales or knows some one who is. If so take a look at http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23299782.html/svr/3103 ;jsessionid}1787DB0B8B0B574B8599646513A5C2
Mike
Muddymike wrote:

yes I have. Well sort of. I 3as going to refurbish the old house, but when we took the crowbars to it there wasn't anything worth refurbishing so it became a new build.
I could write a book about it, but not here and not now.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23299782.html/svr/3103 ;jsessionid}1787DB0B8B0B574B8599646513A5C2

Looks lovely. Can't imagine I'd want to leave, frankly..

Seconded. Just what we're looking for...
... except if it was in commuting range of my work it wouldn't be that price.
Andy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23299782.html/svr/3103 ;jsessionid}1787DB0B8B0B574B8599646513A5C2
I can find 25k just looking under pot plants etc, the problem is the other 600 ;)
Mike,
Take a look at the Yahoo group UK snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.co.uk .
Bert
Mike,

Thanks for the tip Bert, I will sign up.
Tony and TNP. Its not that we want to leave nor have too, its just that the place is now too big for us. There was four of us when we bought it some 8 years ago, now there only two. Also the gardens are very high maintenance, I enjoy doing it but would be happier not having to do it every weekend!
We won't be moving far, probably still within 10 miles of Leyburn, as we do love the area. Also we are in no rush and accept it will probably take a couple of years to sell.
Mike
I thought everyone was going to France? Brian
From the sofa of Brian Gaff -
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Tempting for the duration of the oilypimpleics.

One thing I did notice on one of the 'Homes Under the Hammer'series was that someone who did do that, building a new house on a bare plot, was that the regulations on what had to be done to comply with the new regulations on the energy stuff was completely and utterly bizarre and increased the costs over what he had done before, out of sight.
That might not matter much if you want to build like that yourself anyway, but it might if you want to do nothing special instead.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23299782.html/svr/3103 ;jsessionid}1787DB0B8B0B574B8599646513A5C2
On 07/07/2012 21:54, Rod Speed wrote:

It depends on what you mean...physically build it yourself or get a builder to do it. We opted for buying a plot and getting it built. Went round as many kit house companies that we could find (decided on a kit house) and got them to recommend builders and act on who came up with good reputations and most recommended. Then done the same with as many builders as possible ...who were the best kit companies. By throwing all the info together we came up with a kit company and a builder. It was 20 years ago but we got a damn good house at a great price (70k including land and all associated costs, 5 beds). We got the builder locked in to a fixed price contract and a timescale that was set after the foundations were in as planning can be timely. We just sold it last year to downsize as we were in no rush to sell we got a good price but also managed to buy our `new` property at a bargain price due to the economic downturn, the house is the same size as the one we sold, so much for downsizing but hey we are quids in.
wrote

So the NEW ENERGY EFFICIENCY REGULATIONS WERENT RELEVANT.

On 08/07/2012 02:10, Rod Speed wrote:

And new builds today wont have the new energy efficiency regs for 2020 :-)

They have already got some that are nothing like what was seen 20 years ago.
On Jul 7, 11:58am, "Muddymike" wrote:

Is that a saniflo in t' bathroom? ;-)
And no photo of air raid shelter?
Owain
On Jul 7, 11:58 am, "Muddymike" wrote:

Most certainly not, they are hateful things.

Take a look at;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/Garden%20A21%202007%20019.jpg
It shows the steps leading down into the shelter, I don't seem to have on of the interior.
Mike
On Jul 8, 10:31am, "Muddymike" wrote:

Wasn't sure if it was saniflo or boxing in.

Mmmmm.
Looks more like a proper bunker than an Anderson.
Owain
On Jul 8, 10:31 am, "Muddymike" wrote:

Indeed, this is no Anderson shelter. It's a semi subterranean 7 feet square room, built of engineering brick, and mounded over with soil.
Mike
Muddymike wrote:

Get the estate agents to describe it at a sex dungeon...........
--
Adam

On Jul 8, 3:35pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

Or a rhubarb shed
Owain
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:52:03 -0700 (PDT), Owain

When I were a lad plenty of private houses (and blocks of flats) still had the old air-raid shelters in the gardens. Mostly they were used for junk storage but some had turned them into ace garden sheds and hobby rooms.